Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Beowulf in 3-D

I'd been reading that the movie "Beowulf" features exceptional computer animation, made more exceptional by 3-D effects. So hubby and I decided to go see for ourselves Tuesday evening, and we were impressed. The animated main characters most easily recognizable to us were Anthony Hopkins as the king, John Malkovich as Unferth, and Angelia Jolie as the siren mother of the troll-monster.


This action-packed PG13 movie (for violence and nudity...though there is no objectionable frontal nudity), is based on the classic Beowulf epic poem. It startles the audience with in-your-face spears and swords, burning embers, flying cobblestones, etc. Even when I expected something to fly out at me, I flinched.

The computer animated characters are very realistically detailed, right down to moles, scars, blood vessels, and fine facial hair.

This is not a movie for young children, or for folks who cannot tolerate violence, but for those who, like us, are fascinated with film-making advances, "Beowulf" is a must-see.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

This is one I've definitely got to see! Thanks for reviewing it here.

Sixty Something said...

It's pretty amazing, and I think you'll enjoy the special effects.