Thursday, December 13, 2007

Twelve Days of Christmas

Several years ago, my mother became ill during the two weeks just before Christmas. She desperately wanted to go to all the holiday events, but just wasn't up to it. One day, to cheer her, I stopped by a local dollar store and bought a grab bag. The bag jingled, but I had no idea what was in it. When Mother opened it, she found a pair of jingly reindeer horns on a head band. She promptly plunked them on her head, and we had a good laugh.



That inspired me to go search for other small items to give to her...one for each day until Christmas Eve. None of the items were expensive, but Mother looked forward every day to seeing what I came up with.



Thus began our Twelve Days of Christmas tradition. Yesterday was the first day for this year's season, when the gift was a loaf of homemade lemon bread, accompanied by a homemade Christmas card. Other examples of gifts I have on hand for her are her favorite hand cream, a CD of her favorite music artist, garden decorations, scrapbooking supplies, and crytogram and crossword puzzle books. The most unusual gift, though, is a Serta Counting Sheep that I got at a silent auction. Mother is captivated by this little character, so she'll be delighted when she sees it.

0 comments: