Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Busy Wednesday

Had a very good workout at Cardiac Rehab this morning, where the exercise physiologist boosted the treadmill to a 3% incline to increase resistance for me. I began with a 98/65 blood pressure reading and ended at 88/56. "How do you feel?" the exercise physiologist asked, making sure that I wasn't lightheaded. I wasn't. It took a while for my heart rate to slow down, but I felt fine...I didn't feel my heart racing or anything.

I'm glad I worked hard at the session this morning, since I won't be back at Cardiac Rehab until next Monday, because we plan to camp a few hours south of here for an annual end-of-May weekend family gathering. Of course, I'll take time to ride my bike and walk for exercise while there, but I probably won't get quite the workout I do at Cardiac Rehab.

After lunch, Hubbie and I shopped at the farmer's market and the worldwide discount chain store for the food we'll need while at camp. We also picked up barbecued pork for the big get-together Saturday. Right now, it's in the freezer unit of the RV refrigerator, so I'll need to remember to put it in the fridge Friday to thaw.

We like to prepare foods ahead for camp, so we won't have to spend all our time cooking after we arrive. We've boiled potatoes, macaroni, and eggs for salads, and chopped the veggies that go in them. There's a large meatloaf baked and ready to re-heat, or slice and eat cold in sandwiches, and there's a big container of homemade pimento cheese (made with white American cheese, since I'm allergic to yellow dye). The locally grown strawberries are capped, sliced and sugared. The muffins and cupcakes (both chocolate and white) are baked.

We'll also take store-bought jars of spaghetti sauce and spices to "kick them up a notch," and boxes of macaroni and cheese for kids who won't eat anything else. There's ice cream in the freezer, individual chocolate pudding cups, homemade cookies, and Girl Scout cookies (I buy lots of boxes for occasions like this).

Those who don't like pimento cheese or cold meatloaf can make sandwiches from deli turkey and cheeses, or peanut butter and jelly at lunchtime. There's even fresh lettuce from the garden and raw veggies for making chef's salads. For breakfast, there's cold cereals, fresh fruits, homemade muffins, and loaves of homemade banana bread, as well as bagels and cream cheese.

Over the course of four days, we never know who will drop by or when, so we are prepared to set out food at any time of the day. On Saturday, though, everyone tries to be there around lunchtime. On that day, there could be between 30 and 40 family members in attendance.

This afternoon, then, was occupied in packing the RV with everything but last-minute items, so we can head south by around 9 a.m. tomorrow morning. We'll be at the same Corp. of Engineers campsite that we've reserved for a number of years now. It has a large grassy space around it so the kids cab spread out and play.

The weather promises to be mildly warm with low humidity this weekend, so it should be quite comfortable for visiting outdoors. Can't wait to get my hands on all the babies who will be there.
My digital camera will get a workout, too.

0 comments: