Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thursday, Dec. 16

Up around 7:30 and did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast. Once I was ready for the day, Mother came over, and we planned next week's menu...or at least the few days before Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day after Christmas, when meals are already planned.

After I'd prepared a grocery list, Hubbie went shopping. I stayed home to do a couple of loads of laundry and other household chores. Hubbie returned around noon, and we had a veggie soup lunch. Mother went home, since we had no projects planned for today.

Following lunch, I went Christmas shopping...to the store that has a sale every weekend, and to the other store that has a sale every weekend, as well as to a sports store, to the WDCS and to a grocery store. At the store that has a sale every weekend, I bought a winter scarf for Hubbie's granddaughter. I used a $10 coupon for that, so the scarf only cost 43 cents. At the other stores, I bought gifts for Hubbie. I think I've finally finished my Christmas shopping now.

Later, for supper, Hubbie and I had leftover lasagna, after which I went to the college library to meet my Literacy Council student. She was about five minutes late, but we still managed a good session.

We reviewed material covered last Tuesday, and then did a lesson on asking and answering questions, like "Are you a student?" and "Are you a doctor?" with answers of "Yes, I am," and "No, I'm not." The object of the lesson was to use proper intonations.

Again, we practiced hearing the difference in the "a" sound as in man or sand, and the "e" sound in men or send. We spent quite a bit of time on this, since it's so difficult for her to hear the subtle differences. But by the end of the session, I could see the light dawning in her face.

We also touched on the numbers 21 to 30. The numbers three, thirteen, and thirty are difficult for her to get her tongue around, so she'll need to practice these at home.

I decided we should take a break for Christmas and New Year's, so we will not meet again until January 3. She seemed relieved to hear this. As a young mother, I'm sure she has lots to do for the holidays. Before they left, I gave her daughter a Christmas wrapped nutcracker tree ornament as a reward for being so helpful in translating for me.

Back home, we spent the evening watching TV, as usual.

0 comments: