Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thursday, Jan. 27

What a perfectly lovely day, weather wise...sunny with temps rising into the 50s.



I was up around 7:30, and after breakfast, I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises. While I was doing this, Hubbie went to the cable company to report our difficulties with the cable box. They suggested what I should have thought of on my own...to unplug the box, wait five minutes, and then plug it back in. That's all it took to reset it.



Around 9 a.m., Hubbie traveled to another town about forty-five minutes away to have the automatic doors on the van repaired, in accordance with a recall notice. While he was there, he asked the repairmen to check the van air conditioner, since it didn't work the last time we tried to use it. It'll requiire a part that has to be ordered, so it could be a week or so before Hubbie can take the van back for this repair.



While he was gone, I worked on my income tax report related to artist-in-education residencies at a school and museum last year, as well as freelance photography income. I certainly couldn't support myself on what I make, but the government still wants to know about it.



After that, I decided to watch my DVD movie musical, "Chicago," while I cut up veggies for a chef's salad for lunch. I thought Hubbie would be gone until around noon, but he got back around 11 a.m. I probably wouldn't have started the movie if I'd known he'd be back so soon, since he's not a fan of movie musicals. But, I was already into it, so he had to suffer it.



After lunch, we shopped for on-sale groceries at a grocery store....got two cases of no-sodium-added diced tomatoes, plus buy-one-get-one packages of mozzerella cheese, and six boxes of facial tissue (winter isn't over yet, and the sniffles may still be on the horizon). For every ten items we picked up, we got a $5 discount, on top of the already discounted prices (the name-brand canned goods are about half the usual price).



We also shopped for Mother...she didn't come over today. She usually stays home on Thursdays to do whatever appeals to her, though we check on her several times during the day.



From the grocery store, we went to a pharmacy store that offered cans of decaf coffee reduced $2 per can, so we bought the two cans they had left.



Back home, I sat down to read the daily newspaper and was surprised to see a photo of Mother and me making neck warmers at the independent living center yesterday. I knew the activity director of the center was snapping pictures, but I didn't know she planned to submit them to the paper. In the photo, Mother is sewing one of the warmers, and I'm standing up threading a needle for one of the residents.



Supper tonight for Hubbie and me was leftover beef stroganoff and veggies from last night. Later, I made a six-minute chocolate cake (Sis inspired me to this).



Then we watched the 2009, PG movie, "Amelia," about the Aviatrix, Amelia Earhart. It stars Hilary Swank, and Richard Gere. The movie has met with mixed reviews, but I'm a fan of biopics. I wanted to see this film when it was released to movie theaters, but our theater didn't show it. I think the sweeping scenery and the historic planes would have been more powerfully visual on the big screen.

0 comments: