Saturday, January 14, 2012

Saturday, Jan. 14

Was awakened by a ringing telephone this morning. Niece was calling to see if I knew anything more about the status of my ex-husband. I told her that family were to gather at 10 a.m., at which time he was to be taken off life support.

We chatted for quite a while, and she brought me up-to-date on my brother's condition. He spends most of his time in bed, watching westerns on TV. Trips to the bathroom, or to the dinner table, are his only activities, because he's wobbly and gets dizzy when he's up.

Niece engaged a physical therapist for him, but she said the exercises exhausted him for two days afterward. I'm thinking this is because he didn't do them on the days his therapist wasn't there.

He'll be 80 years old in a few months, but if he doesn't bestir himself, he won't survive long.

Later in the morning, after breakfast, I helped Mother take a shower. When I returned home, I changed into exercise clothes and did a treadmill session and resistance exercises.

By then, it was noon. After lunch, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house. I gathered scrapbook supplies and snapshots of Grandson's wedding we'd started working on a few months ago, and we spent a couple of hours busying ourselves with that project.

Around 4 p.m., I started a supper of chicken and dumplings, using chicken and broth leftover from earlier in the week. I served the dish with leftover mashed potatoes, and English peas.

There was no word of my ex-husband today.

0 comments: