Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday, August 31

Power must have gone off at least temporarily last night, because when I woke up the cable box clock was stuck at 12:00. Got up to check a watch, and found it was nearly 5 a.m.

The nightstand clock is on Hubbie's side of the bed, and he didn't feel like setting it, so he just set a timer to go off in an hour. I keep the timer in the bathroom to for when I get my hair colored. It did go off, and I heard it, but Hubbie did not.

Since it was only drizzling rain this morning, I decided to go on to water aerobics. I was among the few who decided to brave the day to go to the pool, though...only eleven of us showed up.

It was a muggy morning, with low-slung gray clouds, and a little wind, but otherwise perfectly fine to get out and about. If there had been lightning or drenching rain, I probably would have wimped out, too.

I enjoy smaller crowds at the pool, anyway, because fewer people means more space in the deep end to swim. But I know that the more people who sign up and pay for aerobics sessions the more likely the college is to continue letting us use the pool.

The water in the pool is still pleasantly warm, though I noticed it is lower, so I fully expect maintenance will fill it over the weekend, and it'll be chilly Monday. Speaking of Monday, the college will be open, and our leader and the lifeguard will be available, so those of us who want to can attend aerobics. I have nothing scheduled, so I'm sure I'll want to be there.

One topic of conversation at the pool today was tonight's blue moon. A few of the ladies thought that the term was literal, and meant that the moon will actually be blue in color, so one of the ladies asked me if this is true. I told her that a blue moon just means August will see two full moons...one occurred August 1, the other will occur tonight. It's a relatively rare phenomenon, with the next one occurring in three years...hence the term, "once in a blue moon."

Back home, Hubbie had already accompanied Mother to our house. As usual, by the time I was ready for the day, it was near lunchtime. While I was getting ready, I heard the doorbell ring, and then heard the UPS truck leave. My new saute' skillets had arrived. They are very nice, heavy skillets, which Hubbie had already washed by the time I got downstairs.

After lunch, we watched one of the movies we'd picked up at the library..."Back When We Were Grownups," a 2004 Hallmark movie starring Blythe Danner, Faye Dunaway, Peter Fonda, and Jack Palance.

We'd seen this movie before, but we didn't remember the plot, so we enjoyed seeing it again. Danner plays a widowed grandmother, who runs the family party-planner business. She has a mid-life crisis, and wonders if she has taken the right road. She is the center and the rock of a very diverse family. Naturally, she ultimately comes to the conclusion that she has a wonderful life.

After the movie, Mother headed to the couch for a nap, and Hubbie and I ran errands. First we stopped by the art gallery, so I could see an unusual photography exhibit. The photographer uses some sort of photo fading process, and then she water colors the image to simulate a painting. It's interesting.

From there, we went to the WDCS for a few items, including batteries for the boom box, cleaning supplies, etc. At the checkout, the associate commented that it had been a very busy day at the store...because it's Friday (payday for many), Social Security check time for others, rainy weather (need that bread and milk), the first college football game scheduled for tomorrow night (need game day goodies), and a holiday weekend (Labor Day on Monday).

It was around 3:30 when we got back home. Mother finished her nap, and relaxed until suppertime. Supper was more potato soup and bran muffins. Accompanied Mother to her house afterward, and then Hubbie and I watched TV, as usual.

We watched two shows: a documentary about a socialite woman in Hawaii in the 1930s, who claimed to have been raped by four local Hawaiian men. The socialite, though married, was a wild child. When justice was not served to the satisfaction of the woman's mother (a relative of Alexander Graham Bell), she and her cohorts kidnap one of the young men, take him to her home, and murder him. But since this is an era of racial prejudice, she is never broght to justice for the crime.

Hubbie chose this documentary (which he thought was a movie) from the library. Hubbie is not a real fan of documentaries.

He did enjoy a mystery movie I chose, though. This one, called "A Suitable Vengeance," is a British movie from PBS. A local shopkeeper is killed, and Detective Lynley fears his druggie brother might have done it. The detective must not only deal with the murder, but he must also deal with his dysfunctional upper-crust family that includes his mother, who 20 years earlier he found in dalliance with the family doctor as his father lay dying of cancer in the adjoining bedroom.

As we were watching TV, a thunderstorm cropped up, bringing with it a drenching rain. I guess it was the last swipe of tropical depression Isaac, before the system exited the state.


0 comments: