Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tuesday, Dec. 4

Slept late on this rainy, sometimes stormy, morning. Didn't get up until 8 a.m., but did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast.

Before Hubbie ran errands, he accompanied Mother to our house around 9:30. We decided to make a recipe of chocolate peppermint bark to use as part of a gift for a Dirty Santa exchange at the "Water Babes" Christmas party tomorrow. But naturally, I lacked an item, and had to wait until Hubbie returned before we could make the candy.

Mother and I worked together on making the candy...I melted the white chocolate and dark chocoate chips, which Mother spread onto parchment paper, and topped with peppermint candy that I'd crushed earlier. Mother really enjoyed this project that seemed to satisfy her creative urge.

Once the candy had cooled, I broke it into pieces and put a generous portion, wrapped in wax paper and tied with gold rick-rack, into a large metal star-shaped candle holder that I'd lined with colorful Christmas tissue. I included a Christmas card, into which I tucked a copy of the candy recipe.

The dark metal star emits light through holes when a candle is lighted in it...it's something I bought on sale at a farm store a few years ago, and has been in my gift stash waiting for the right occasion.

It was lunctime by the time we finished the project. After lunch, Mother headed to the couch for a nap, and I caught up on paperwork and such, including submitting a monthly tutoring report to the Literacy Council, sending my Chinese Chicken Soup recipe to those who requested it at the chili/soup event last Thursday, putting photos of the graham cracker cookie workshop on a CD for the art gallery director, making a haircut appointment for Mother and me, completing the word search puzzle contest, and other piddling things that aren't big projects individually, but which take time when bunched together.

Mother finished her nap around 3:30, and later, we had a supper of leftover spaghetti, with cottage cheese and bread and butter. Afterward, Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house.

About 7:15, we went to the college for a program by the editor of "Found Magazine." This magazine features "found stuff, like love letters, birthday cards, kids' homework, to-do lists, ticket stubs, poetry on napkins, receipts, doodles, and anything else that gives a glimpse into somebody else's life."

Examples: a note that says, "I would like to babysit for your baby. I am 8 years old. My rate is $2 an hour. Call Samantha." This was found pinned to a bulletin board at a supermarket.

On a post-it note list found on the floor: "-Spanish, -field trip, -bacon."

Another note tucked in the door of a house: "Jessica, I heard a rumor that you were alive. I thought I would check while I was in town. Bob."

And this typewritten note: I SEEM TO HAVE LOST MY ENGLISH DICTIONARY. THE LAST TIME I SAW IT WAS RIGHT HERE AT THIS VERY SPOT. IF YOU HAVE STOLEN IT. MY FRIEND AND I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN WITH OUR TERRIFYING OVER GROWN HAMSTERS. YOU DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. DO YOU!!? SO PLEASE PLACE THE DICTIONARY IN A BLACK PLASTIC BAG AND NAIL IT TO THIS VERY LAMPOST AT PRECISELY 6:04AM TOMORROW. MY ENGLISH WILL FAIL IF YOU DON'T GET IT BACK. YOU DON'T WANT THAT ON YOUR CONSCIENCE.

Back home after the program, we watched our favorite college basketball team as they played to a nail-biter win.

**********************************************************************************
Note: at the four-way stop a few miles from our house, there is a black chicken that is free-ranging on the grounds of a church at one corner. We think the chicken probably fell off a truck, and is making its home at the church. From time-to-time, we see the chicken across the street pecking at we know not what on the pavement of the gas station/convenience store.

The chicken has been around that area for many weeks, and I keep expecting to see it smashed on the road one day. But Monday, on my way to the college for water aerobics, I noticed the chicken standing in the median, watching as busy morning traffic took turns at the four way stop. Having successfully crossed one lane of the street from the church grounds to the median, it was waiting for traffic to clear before attempting to cross the other lane to the gas station/convenience store.

When I came back from water aerobics, I saw it there, safe and sound at the station/store. And we think chickens are stupid? I don't think this one is. I think it's definitely a wise survivor.





















0 comments: