Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tuesday, Feb. 25

Up at 7:30 this morning, and did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house while I was getting ready for the day, and then he ran errands. Back downstairs, I gathered ingredients for pimento cheese, which Mother made.

Just before 11 a.m., I met a dental appointment. Because the patient before me arrived fifteen minutes late for his appointment, I had to wait for a while before my hygienist could see me. She apologized, saying that patients are usually turned away if they arrive that late, unless they have a good excuse, which he didn't. But since he'd traveled quite a long way to get there, they gave him a free pass today.

The hygienist was a little under the weather with a bladder infection today. Also, the sulphur drug prescribed to her was making her feel bad. I can't take sulphur drugs, because they make me sick. I suggested she call her doctor to see if another antibiotic could be prescribed. What good does it do to feel even worse after taking a medication that's supposed to cure an illness that's making you feel bad?

Seems my dentist wasn't up to par today, either. He's suffering from a sinus problem, and was scheduled to see his doctor today. I'm glad that it wasn't necessary for him to exam my mouth today.

My teeth seem to be unchanged from my last appointment, and since the cleaning procedure went quickly, I was out of there and back home by noon. The only thing is, I was in such a hurry to leave the clinic that I forgot to pay my bill! Oh, well, they know where I live.

After lunch, Mother went to her jigsaw puzzle, and I worked on a few scrapbook pages featuring photos of the December Christmas blizzard, and the recent ice storm.

Then I worked this week's word search puzzle contest from yesterday's local newspaper, read today's edition of the paper, and finally got around to reading the Sunday paper.

Sis arrived later this afternoon to spend a few days, and we all visited until suppertime. Supper tonight was leftovers...spaghetti and sauce, baked beans, sweet potatoes, cottage cheese with salad tomatoes, and garlic bread.

Soon after supper, Hubbie received a disturbing phone call...his son's home was burning to the ground. His son lives in a town about two hours east of us. We don't know yet what the monetary extent of the loss is, or what we can do to help. Everyone's in shock right now.

Son said it was an electrical fire. He was vacuuming when he noticed smoke and fire at the outlet. He ran outside to call the fire department, and then move the vehicles. But because the house was very old, and it took the volunteer firefighters fifteen minutes to arrive, the house was fully engulfed by the time they got there.

Son was unable to save anything. But I pointed out to Hubbie that it was a miracle that the fire didn't start while Son and Grandson were in bed asleep. If it had to happen, it happened at a good time.

Soon after we heard this bad news, Mother and Sis decided to go to Mother's house. Hubbie and I opted to distract ourselves watching TV.



0 comments: