Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tuesday, Oct. 22

Up at 6 a.m., so we could be dressed and ready when the painter came. He was scheduled to arrive at 8 a.m., but it was closer to 8:30 by the time he got here.

He went right to work painting the stairwell and the upstairs bathroom, and spent the whole day at it, except for a break at noon, when he needed to go get the alternator on his car repaired. By the end of his work day (5 p.m.), he had applied two coats of paint to each of the areas.

Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house around 9 a.m., and we spent the morning in the kitchen preparing fresh green beans, and purple hull peas to be simmered. I washed the green beans, and she and I snapped them. Then she diced onions, carrots, and banana peppers for the peas, and more onions and banana peppers for the green beans. I seasoned the veggies and cooked them in chicken and beef broths.

Mother also sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, and banana peppers to be used in making Swiss steak later for supper. Then she began working a new jigsaw puzzle, while I gathered materials and made a couple of birthday cards.

Hubbie spent his day outdoors re-potting plants to be brought into the sunroom, since predictions are for possible frost this week.

Around 3 p.m., I trimmed the beef, while Mother sliced onions. I seasoned the beef and dredged it in flour, then browned it, then added onions, bell pepper, and banana peppers, and two quart packages of tomatoes from last year's garden. I'd taken the tomatoes out of the freezer earlier in the day, so I was surprised that they were still frozen when I put them in the pan. Didn't take long for them to thaw, though.

The Swiss steak was very tasty, as were the green beans and purple hull peas. I added to the meal leftover Parmesan potatoes that I'd heated in the oven. It was a very satisfying supper.

Afterward, Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house, and then we watched TV for the evening.

Tomorrow the painter is to return to paint the kitchen. He's also to bring cabinet ideas for the upstairs bathroom. While the cabinets are being built, I guess we need to shop for a new toilet and vinyl flooring.

After everything is in place, I'll be shopping for new curtains and wall hangings. I'm thinking I'll aim for green decor this time.



0 comments: