Thursday, October 25, 2007

Thumbs Down to Yellow Dyes #5 and #6

Several years ago, after many episodes of hives, vomiting, diarrhea, and one episode of near-anaphylactic shock, I was diagnosed as having an allergy to yellow dye additives (both #5 and #6). My allergist prescribed Epinephren, in the form of an EpiPen, in case I had another attack.

I learned that I need to read package labels carefully, because yellow dye is in an endless list of processed foods. It's in cheese, and cheese doodles, and orange colored candies. It's in soft drinks, and cake mixes, and packaged baked goods. It's in vanilla puddings, and ice creams, and yogurts. I even found it listed on a container of chocolate flavored yogurt! Why on earth would chocolate flavored yogurt need yellow dye?

Last night, a TV news segment pointed to a British study showing that food preservatives and dyes may contribute to hyperactivity in children (a U.S. expert disagrees, saying there's no definitive link). Now, I realize that the operative word here is "may," but mothers - and their children - who were interviewed said that decreasing or eliminating foods with additives, such as dyes, alleviated symptoms.

By being constantly vigilant, I've avoided allergy attacks for several years now. So I appeal to food manufacturers to find safer methods for preserving and coloring foods.

0 comments: