Sunday, October 21, 2007

Visiting Dignitaries

Yesterday was a nice, sunny, clear-blue-day for listening to the governor of our state speak as part of Founder's Day ceremonies at my alma mater. It was a nice, predictable speech, very complimentary of the college.

Not everyone is, but I am fond of seeing and hearing the bagpipers and drummers lead the cap-and-gowned 2007 senior class, faculty, staff, and others to the outdoor staging area. I enjoy the concert chorale, too. I don't even mind sitting through the awards ceremonies, honoring alumni who have distinguished themselves in various fields of endeavor. I am not one of them, but I applaud those who have risen to greater-than-average heights in their careers.

I was particularly interested in seeing the governor yesterday, because his wife is coming to town this week on a book tour. She'll be at our local art gallery, where I serve on the visual arts committee. If I should be lucky enough to speak with the First Lady, I want to be able to say I saw her husband at the Founder's Day ceremonies. Never mind that he didn't see me.

0 comments: