Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ballroom Dancing

Hubbie and I started ballroom dancing classes last week. In my wildest dreams, I never thought we'd be doing this...at least, I never thought my husband would agree to do it.

A few months ago, at the beauty salon, one of the hairdressers remarked that she and her husband had been having a blast taking dance lessons.

"You and your husband should try it," she said.

"There's no way I could drag him to it," I announced, emphatically. In the 27 years we've been married, when he was called upon to do it, he very reluctantly took the dance floor...and then only when the music was slow enough that it required a simple sway-step-sway movement.

Later that day, I relayed the conversation to Hubbie. "You know," he said, "I've always wanted to learn to dance."

What!!?

"Well, I just never had the opportunity to learn in the small community where I grew up, but I've always wanted to be able to dance."

Knock me over with a feather! Okay!! I've always loved to dance, but was resigned to not doing much of it with Hubbie.

I immediately called the dance studio and arranged to get us into the next eight-week class. I got us in just under the wire, as the last couple to register in the only class with one opening left. He was surprised, but pleased, to get the lessons as one of his Christmas gifts.

He was a little nervous at our first session, but warmed to it as the class went along. It helped that there are at least two other couples in our age-range attending the class. It also helped that we weren't the only couple stumbling our way through the session, a lesson on the basic four- steps-square that serves for waltz, tango, and foxtrot.

We've practiced at home a couple of times, but we are awaiting an online order of music CDs suited to ballroom dancing to really get into it.

Watch out "Dancing with the Stars!"

0 comments: