Monday, February 18, 2008

Trivia

Rarely does a day go by that I don't say, "I didn't know that!" Today was no exception. In purusing our town's newspaper, I learned these things:

Our country's eighth president, Martin Van Buren, born in Kinderhook, N.Y., is credited with the word okay, or, OK, which are shortened terms for his nickname, "Old Kinderhook."

Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president, dubbed the residence in Washington, D.C., the "White House."

And from a quarterly rural magazine, I learned that some farmers and ranchers use llamas as guardian animals, because they chase and kick dogs and coyotes away from livestock. I've seen llamas in pastures around our state, but thought their owners just kept them as novelty animals.

I also learned that glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are given to performance dogs to help keep their joints lubricated for running and jumping. Hubbie and I take daily doses of it in hopes of keeping our joints in good working order, but I never thought about it being good for our four-legged friends, too.

I can't think what I need this information for, but it's interesting, anyway.

0 comments: