Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Computers...Boon and Bane

Computers are great when they work, and the pits when they don't. Mine has been in the shop a couple of times in the past several weeks, with complications arising each time. A few weeks ago, I found that I had run out of hard drive space, which required cloning my hard drive to a new one. Of course, my computer tech didn't have a hard drive on hand and had to order one, which took several days in arriving. Then, after the work was done, I found that the USB ports on the front of the tower didn't work.

Computer tech came by my house to check the ports. They were fried, thanks to my ignorance in not shutting them off before removing hardware. Fortunately, I still had a port at the back that I could use.

Since my anti-virus software was due to be updated, and my computer guy recommended a different, more powerful package than the one I had been using, I decided to let him load the new software, and see if he could fix/replace the USB ports while he was at it.

I took the computer in last Friday, and he loaded the anti-virus software and checked the ports. He couldn't fix them. So I brought the computer home, with the understanding that computer guy was to receive registration info from California that I would need to enter before the software would operate properly. I was to call him in a couple of hours to get this info.

In the meantime, computer guy got called away to take care of downed computers at a nursing home. He didn't return before business closing time. So it would be Monday before I could talk with him. He gave me the information that morning, but I was unable to access the Internet to complete it. In fact, we discovered that the computer didn't recognize our speakers or printer, either.

He apologized, but said he would be out of town the rest of Monday, as well as yesterday, taking care of a major job, and that it would be yesterday evening after work before he could come by my house to check things out. He came by about 5:30 p.m., and found a disconnected wire in the computer that was preventing our being able to access the Internet or use the speakers and printer.

Once he found the problem, he was able to complete the anti-virus setup, and now, after five interminably long days, I'm good to go again. Whew.

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

Brandon's laptop has crashed, too. He's been trying to get it going again using the recovery disk, but I think he's just got too much on the hard drive. I suggested that he get an external hard drive and see if he could get it going with that. Otherwise, he'll have to take it to the Geek Squad and let them work on it.

Sixty Something said...

It's always something with computers, isn't it? Hope he can get it fixed without too much trouble.