Sunday, October 5, 2008

Slow Sunday

We snoozed until 8 a.m. this morning, had a cold-cereal breakfast, and then did little of importance until noon. I took the day off from exercising. When Mother came over, she said she was in the mood for peppy music, so I put three Big Band CDs into the stereo...two Glen Miller and one Duke Ellington.



For lunch, we had herbed pork roast and new potatoes, prepared in the slow-cooker, and served with gravy, butternut squash, and individual cups of cinnamon-flavored applesauce...a very low-salt, low-fat meal.

Mother went home shortly after lunch, and I sat down with the Sunday newspaper. Lately, I've enjoyed working the Numbrix puzzles in Parade magazine, which are designed by Marilyn Savant. These puzzles also appear at her website, though I haven't tried those. Usually, I like word puzzles and brain teasers, but I've found that I also enjoy some number puzzles, like Soduko and Numbrix. It took a while to teach myself how to work Soduko puzzles, but once I got the hang of it, I was very enthusiastic about it. Later, I taught a couple of granddaughters how to work them, and they caught the fever.

Later yesterday afternoon, Hubbie and I went over to the college in time for the set strike of "Jekyll and Hyde," so I could retrieve the glass decanters and costume jewelry that I'd provided for the play. I figured it'd be safer to be there during strike than to risk having the items packed away among the theater's burgeoning props, costumes, etc. at the storage building, where they might be difficult to unearth later.

For supper, we settled for French toast, using whole wheat bread dipped in egg substitute and prepared with cooking spray. The toast was topped with low-fat margarine and sugar free syrup. We finished the meal with cups of hot tea and bowls of mixed fresh fruits sprinkled with chopped pecans.

0 comments: