Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday, February 22

We slept a little later this morning, getting up at 7:30 a.m. I skipped my exercises and instead spent time doing laundry and programming the DVR for this week's shows and movies. Then Hubbie and I went to the WDCS for a few incidentals and groceries, but particularly because we wanted to pick up a deli chicken for lunch.

I was hoping to find some black and red cardstock in the scrapbook supplies section of the store, but there was no paper of any kind there. I guess they are closing out that department. I did find some page protectors, but there were only a couple of packages of those. There is no place else in town that carries scrapbook supplies, so I guess I'll be forced to go to another town a couple of hours away to get what I need. Before I do that, though, I'll check at our local office supply store.

The deli chicken was good at lunch, though too salty. We had it with potatoes steamed with onions, and a side of coleslaw.

At 1 p.m., we went to a local college, where I ushered for the collaborative community theater/ college production. The play began at 2 p.m., but ushers were asked to be on hand about 45 minutes ahead of time.

The play was performed in the college's theater-in-the-round. The set was minimal, consisting only of two tables and 32 ladder back and other vintage-style chairs. The costumes were 1905-era. There were no props, and the actors had to mime whatever they were doing (snapping green beans, throwing newspapers, cooking and serving food, etc.). The cast included both college drama students and members of the community.

Two tables, with four chairs at each, were on the platform stage, while the rest of the chairs were lined up against the back of the stage (this play was done in three-quarter round, with audience seated on three sides). The actors who were not immediately involved in the action onstage sat in the chairs at the back of the stage.

This was a very unusual, but effective method of presenting a play. The actors were remarkably professional in their roles. Judging by comments I overheard after the performance, this play was very well received by the large audience in attendance.

The play lasted two hours, with two 10-minute intermissions. We got back home around 4:30 p.m. At 5:30, Hubbie and I had a supper of leftover spaghetti, with the remainder of the coleslaw. Afterwards, I read the Sunday newspaper, and Hubbie finished the John Grisham book. Then we settled in for an evening of TV.

I've begun sniffling and sneezing. I hope Hubbie hasn't passed his cold to me. If he has, I won't be going to the pool in the morning.

0 comments: