Friday, July 31, 2009

Friday, July 31

It's hard to believe that July is gone already. The months just speed by!

We were up around 7:30 this morning, and as usual, I did a treadmill session with weights exercises right after breakfast. I didn't accomplish much else after getting ready for the day. There was nothing pressing, so I read my novel until around 11 a.m., when we had a lunch of the remainder of the chicken noodle soup, with cheese and crackers, and mixed fruit for dessert. Mother joined us for lunch, so we could leave the house a little after 11:30 to go to the local movie theater.

We were invited to join the Caring Hands Hospice group for a movie matinee as a thank you for our work over the past several months. The staff member asked us to be there at noon, so she could report on how effective our efforts have been, advise us of upcoming events, and award us with hospice pins.

Then she gave us each a white lunch sack, tied with ribbons, that contained snack items to enjoy with the movie. Since Mother and I had eaten a sufficient lunch, we didn't open our sacks til we got home...each had a small box of Cracker Jack, and a candy bar. I held the sacks in my lap through the movie, behind my purse, next to my stomach, so by the time we got home, the candy bars were soft, and we had to put them in the refrigerator to harden.

We had four choices of movies today: Harry Potter, Transformers, Funny People (rated "R"), or G Force, a 3-D animated film. Mother and I chose G Force. Since the staff member had e-mailed the list of movies to me yesterday, I knew to be prepared with 3-D glasses when we went. Hubbie and I had gotten the glasses when we saw Beowulf, and I figured they'd work with today's movie, and they did.

Last night, we debated whether we even wanted to attend this event, since all except one movie was kiddie oriented, but then we decided that it might be fun to see the animated film in 3-D. We enjoyed it...mainly because of the 3-D effects, where stuff flings right out in the viewer's face.

The combination live and computer-generated animation movie features three guinea pigs and a mole who are agents of a secret government agency charged with saving the world from certain destruction by weapons-implanted, computer-controlled, appliances. Along the way, the animals learn that they are not super beings, as they were led to believe, but are just ordinary pet store guinea pigs. Lesson one: we don't have to be superhuman to perform great deeds; we only have to believe in ourselves. Lesson two: holding a grudge against the world is no excuse to forget your friends.

After we got back home, we relaxed for a while before fixing omelets, with sauteed mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and white American cheese, for supper. We had those with potato patties made from leftover mashed potatoes, sliced tomatoes topped with cottage cheese, and toast.

Mother went home after supper, and I called a few friends to see if they'd like quarts of Reliance grapes that we brought back from the grape festival, since we were afraid they'd go bad before we could eat them all. Four people were at home and gladly agreed to accept the fruit. So we set out to deliver them to two of the ladies from water aerobics, a lady from Master Gardeners, and one other friend.

Then we went to the WDCS to pick up the mug I'd ordered for Mother, and a few groceries. I'm sort of disappointed with the mug, because my attempt to get rid of red eye on the cat came out as little black dots on the pupil. Oh, well. Mother will no doubt like it, anyway.

Back home, we watched TV, as usual. I've checked the eagle nest a few times over the past couple of days, but there has been no sign of the eaglet.

0 comments: