Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday, August 31

Woke up at 3:30 a.m. this morning with symptoms of a familiar infection. So I went downstairs and read my novel for a few hours, since I knew I wouldn't be able to rest comfortably, and I'd only wake Hubbie if I tossed and turned in bed.

At 8 a.m., I called for a doctor appointment, hoping to get in early. No such luck. I was scheduled for 2 p.m. Though I'm not really sick, I felt yucky enough all day to not be interested in doing much beyond reading.

Hubbie had an appointment with his dentist at 11:40 for a couple of procedures. He didn't get back home until 1 p.m. I'd already had a bowl of chicken noodle soup by then. The soup had cooled to room temperature by the time he got here, but since he was to have no really hot foods for twenty-four hours (particularly liquids), he ate it that way.

I arrived at the doctor's office before 2 p.m., but it was 2:30 before the doctor saw me. Since I was already there, we took care of other annual exams along with my current malady. So now all that remains is to have mammograms (in Sept.) and I'll be done with my annual physical checkups.

It was 3:30 before I got away from the doctor's office, after which I went straight to the pharmacy to get a prescription filled for an antibiotic, as well as pick up two regular prescriptions. Since there were two long lines to the pharmacy counter when I got there, I spent another 20 minutes standing in one of them.

Finally, around 4 p.m., I got back home. Since we all felt rather blah today, we decided to have egg and cheese omelets for supper (egg substitute for Mother and me), along with biscuits and low-fat, no sodium, white gravy, with cherry tomatoes on the side.

Later, Hubbie and I watched a couple of movies...a Masterpiece Theater mystery from the public channel, and "A Reasonable Man," about a man who is guilt-ridden after he kills a young black man while fighting as a soldier in South Africa. Years later, on a canoe trip with his wife in the area, he meets a herd boy. On their way back to their camp, they see the boy again, this time at a village, where he apparently killed a baby with a hatchet, because, he says, the baby was a cursed evil spirit. The man offers to defend the man, saying he was acting in good faith according to his religion.

Novels: the novel I'm currently reading is titled, "The Loop," by Nicholas Evans, author of "The Horse Whisperer." I'm really enjoying this novel about the controversy among people who are either staunchly for or staunchly against protecting wolves in a cattle-ranching region. The book is vivid in its description of how wolves very nearly became extinct, thanks to hunters and trappers in the mid 1800s to early 1900s slaughtering and poisoning thousands of the animals.

Two books I've read recently are "Tulip Fever," and "Julia's Story." Both books are short and easy to read. The first, which takes place in 17th Century Amsterdam, is about greed and illicit love, and the second is about the financial and societal downfall of a formerly wealthy woman following the Great Depression and her husband's death. Both are very interesting, and both have surprise endings.

0 comments: