Thursday, September 17, 2009

Thursday, September 17

We awoke this morning to scattered sunshine with a threat of rain. I think we have had eight straight days of rain so far, with no sign of a letup in sight. The southern part of our state got the real soaking today, while we had a dreary overcast day, but just a sprinkling of rain.

I slept really late, until after 8 a.m. Hubbie was already up by the time I came downstairs. I did a treadmill session after breakfast, despite the lateness of the hour. It was going on 11 a.m. before I was ready for the day, though, so I didn't get a lot accomplished this morning.

Mother came over at noon, and after lunch, we gathered materials to complete some of the screen door Christmas cards we put together this week (see previous blog). Just before 1 p.m., we went to the Extension Office for our scrapbook meeting. One other member came...the one who yesterday said she would not attend if it rained today.

The other member did not come. She called this morning to let me know that she had an obligation for a project at her church that had been postponed from Monday to today. She said that if it rained she would come to the scrapbook meeting, but if there was no rain, she would be at her church. I don't know what project at her church required a no-rain day.

So-o-o, since there was one member who would not attend if it rained, and one who would not attend if it didn't rain, we went to the Extension Office. When we arrived, there was a group of men in the conference room, but when we spoke with the secretary, she said they were scheduled to vacate the room at 1 p.m., so we went on in and spread our stuff out. Presently, the men left.

The meeting lasted a couple of hours, and we were back home a little after 3 p.m., when Hubbie and I decided to go to the pharmacy to collect the overcharge from Mother's prescription that we picked up yesterday. I just went along for the ride, to keep Hubbie company. What with my being away from home for water aerobics, meetings at night, and the scrapbook meeting, Hubbie has spent a lot of hours at home alone this week, so he has enjoyed my company when running errands.

As we were leaving the house, we noticed two of the kittens were making themselves at home in a planter of Texas petunias (see previous blog), so I hurried back indoors to grab my camera. I was afraid the kittens would hop out of the planter before I got some snaps, but they didn't.

Supper for Hubbie and me (Mother went home for supper) was more split pea soup, with PB&J sandwiches. I added a cup of hot, light, cranberry juice to mine, and Hubbie ended his meal with a small dish of banana pudding. It hasn't been a really chilly day, but soup and a hot drink still felt good on this dismal, damp day.

After supper, Hubbie and I watched TV, as usual, but we didn't have very good luck with it...right at the crucial point of a movie we were watching, it suddenly stopped. The DVR failed to record the last several minutes of the movie. Then we watched a one-hour cop show that ended with a cliff hanger, which means I need to remember to record the second part next week. I hate when that happens.

0 comments: