Monday, December 7, 2009

Pearl Harbor Day

In remembrance of Pearl Harbor Day, we hung the flag on the well house today. The attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941, occurred about a month before I was born.

The first thing we noticed when I opened the front door to go to water aerobics was that one of the cats had left us a gift of a dead mouse on the front porch. This isn't the first gift we've received. Recently, one of the cats brought us a snake. Yikes!

It was a very foggy, cold morning for traveling to the college pool. And again, the pool was chilly, too. But about 14 of us showed up, anyway. Usually, once I'm in the water, I get used to the temp. But today, before the session was over, I began getting chilled. Maybe it was a reaction to the H1N1 flu shot. Whatever the cause, I was glad to get out of the pool, dry off, and climb into my snugly fleece outfit.

Back home, I stood in a hot shower for a long time to warm up before getting ready for the day. This morning, I spent a lot of time at my office computer. But this afternoon, Hubbie and I did run a couple of errands...to the everything's a dollar store to buy a Christmas mug to add to a gift basket for the "Water Babes" luncheon and Dirty Santa gift exchange on Friday, and to a gas station to fill up the van.

When we got back, I continued on my office computer. One thing I did was upload snapshots to my blog of our excursion to another town last Friday to see the Christmas lights and go through the Living Nativity (see previous blogs).

I also wrote my annual Christmas letter. I don't bore everyone on my Christmas card list with this lengthy letter, but only send it to certain friends and family (particularly those who do not have computers for reading my daily blogs or receiving frequent e-mails) that I know will enjoy an update of our lives.

Later, Mother and I prepared Ziplock bag omelets, potato pancakes, and toasted bagels for supper. Afterwards, we all went to Mother's house to see her Christmas decorations. She no longer puts up a tree, but she has a couple of nativity scenes and some Christmas village pieces that she sets up here and there.

At home, Hubbie and I listened to the radio as our favorite basketball team played to a win. Yay!

After that, we watched a 2009 Hallmark Channel Christmas movie, "Mrs. Miracle," starring Doris Roberts and James Van Der Beek. An older woman (Roberts) with special abilities comes to a widower's (played by Van Der Beek) home to take care of unruly twin boys. She sees to it that the widower crosses paths with a nice young woman, and you can guess where the plot goes from there.

0 comments: