Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thursday, December 31

Didn't wake up until 8 a.m. this morning. Hubbie was already downstairs, having risen a few minutes earlier. After breakfast, I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises. Mother came over while I was doing that and worked on her jigsaw puzzle.

As I was exercising, the cable TV guy came and reset the cable box. Hubbie asked about exchanging it for a DVR unit, but the cost per month was more than he wanted to pay, so for now we'll stick with the old unit.

After I was ready for the day, I did this and that around the house, including doing a few computer tasks upstairs and printing a copy of some materials for one of our scrapbook club members.

At 11 a.m., Hubbie went to the local restaurant to pick up yeast rolls for our New Years Day lunch tomorrow. Other than that, he spent most of his day reading one of the western novels I gave him for Christmas.

After lunch, I made another double batch of fruit salad, but I didn't notice until I'd mixed the sour cream into the fruit that Hubbie had gotten regular rather than light sour cream yesterday...even though I'd specifically reminded him to get the light variety. So unless Niece and her family eat a lot of it tomorrow, Hubbie will have plenty of the stuff to eat in the coming days, because Mother and I won't indulge.

Mother went on working on her jigsaw puzzle this afternoon, and I continued doing this and that, including washing and drying a couple of loads of laundry. The excitement never ends.

Around 4 p.m., Mother put sweet potatoes in the oven to bake, and carrots on stove to boil, while Hubbie and I went to the WDCS to get a deli chicken and a container of light sour cream. Back home, I seasoned the cooked carrots with margarine, honey, and ginger. They were good with the chicken and sweet potatoes, but the meal sure was orange. I didn't plan very well when I decided to have both sweet potatoes and carrots for supper!

After supper, I put together a single batch of fruit salad for Mother and me. The recipe calls for two cups of sour cream, but I dumped the whole carton into the fruit before discovering it was a 24 oz. container. So to correct my mistake, I added half the amount of the other ingredients. If we have nothing else to eat this coming week, we certainly won't run out of fruit salad.

Later, I cleared away the jigsaw puzzle so we could play a few games of Skibo, before Mother went home around 8:30 p.m. We played four games, with Hubbie and I each winning two. We were hoping Mother would win at least one, but it didn't happen. She didn't care.

She was a bit tired and wobbly tonight, so I walked her home. She'll no doubt hit the sack early and skip the ball dropping at midnight in Times Square. I don't know if we'll see it either, since we'll probably be in bed by that time. Last year, I stayed awake long enough to see the New Year in, but Hubbie was snoring. We'll see what happens this year. The excitement never ends.

On the walk to Mother's house, we noticed the "Blue Moon," which of course is a second full moon for the month. The term "Once in a Blue Moon" just means something that happens only once in a while. One website says that in every century, there are an average of 41 Blue Moons.

0 comments: