Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thursday, January 7

Got up late again this morning, but did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast. Once I was ready for the day, I spent time photographing the birds in the yard from our sun room window (see previous blog).



I didn't accomplish much else for the morning. For lunch, we had scrambled egg substitute, with leftover hash browns, and whole wheat mini bagels topped with cherry preserves.



After lunch, I hemmed a couple of pairs of fleece pants, and gathered laundry to wash. Then I cooked a chicken breast to use in a new soup recipe for supper. The recipe calls for chicken broth, white beans, canned diced tomatoes, and onions, garlic, celery, and carrots, as well as Swiss chard and pasta. But I tweaked the recipe by adding half of a chicken breast and a variety of spices. Since I was unable to find fresh Swiss chard, I substituted fresh spinach. Served with bran muffins, it was a hearty and very yummy and warming meal on this getting-colder-by-the-minute evening.



Our little town dominated our capital city TV station news this evening, when a reporter came here and interviewed a resident (a lady we know) about the extremely cold weather. Also, a tanker truck hauling propane gas overturned on the steep and winding road leading into town, and leaked thousands of gallons of propane. Several businesses and homes were evacuated.



Later this evening, Hubbie and I watched the BCS National Championship college football game between Alabama and Texas. Hubbie rooted for Alabama, but I was neutral. Alabama, of course, won.



Mother stayed home today, though I don't know what projects she was involved in. Hubbie went over there and checked on her, and I talked to her a couple of times via intercom.



Bright spot: got nice birthday cards and notes from two friends...one yesterday, and one today. I'll see another sixty-something birthday on Sunday, and Sis, who has a birthday this month, too, will be here to celebrate both her own and my special days this weekend. She is ten years and ten days younger than I am.

0 comments: