Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thursday, May 20

We awoke about 3:30 this morning to very loud thunderstorms that dumped about two and half inches of rain. The power went out a couple of times, but came back on in a few minutes after each outage. We managed to go back to sleep after the storms passed, and then got up at 7:30.

Naturally, Hubbie was not able to get the TV in the den to work, so I fiddled with it until I finally got it back in order again.

I did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast, as usual, and then did this and that for the rest of the morning.

Mother came over after lunch, and we waited for another member of the scrapbook club to arrive. This lady does not like to drive in town, so she rides with us. We got to the Extension Office at the appointed 1 p.m. hour, and the other member arrived within minutes.

We had a pleasant meeting and accomplished quite a bit. I finished four scrapbook pages and made three greeting cards for Caring Hands. Mother completed one scrapbook page and made a birthday card and a "thinking of you" card for Caring Hands. For my cards, I used prints of flower photos that I shot in our yard. They make pretty backgrounds.

One of the members brought a flyer she'd received in the mail, announcing a senior citizen center weight loss program. The program is free to anyone at least 10 lbs. overweight and 60 years old or older.

"Of course, you wouldn't be eligible," she said to me, "since you aren't 60 years old yet."

I laughed, "Oh, I'm old enough," I said, "I'm 68."

She was surprised, saying she had no idea I was that old. The Extension Services agent who was present also said she wouldn't have guessed I was that old.

I hugged them and told them that they had made my day. This is the second day in a row that I've been told I don't look my age. My hairdresser, when I told her I would be attending my 50th class reunion next week, also was surprised to learn I'm that old. She thought I was about 50. Wow! Could a person be any more flattered? Especially, since my mirror tells me I look every day of my age.

We were back home around 3:30. Mother went home, and later I fixed a supper of whole wheat bagel pizzas, potatoes with onions and bell peppers sauteed in olive oil, sodium-free cream style corn, and salad.

Tonight's TV fare included the movie, "The Take," an R-rated film about a hard-working Hispanic man with a family, who drives an armoured truck. On this day, his truck is hijacked. The hijackers kill his co-workers and then shoot him in the head. He is left for dead, but survives on the operating table. He suffers damage to his right frontal lobe that changes his personality. He becomes bent on exacting revenge on the hijackers.

0 comments: