Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday, March 21

Up around 8 a.m., and did a treadmill session and resistance exercises after breakfast. Mother came over mid-morning, and was downstairs waiting for me when I finished getting ready for the day.

She'd busied herself this morning baking muffins, which she brought over to have with chicken noodle soup for lunch.

I spent my morning doing this and that household tasks, while Hubbie worked in the yard, and Mother worked on her jigsaw puzzle.

After lunch, Hubbie and I ran a few errands...to our income tax preparers office, to the bank, to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription, and to a restaurant and the Chamber of Commerce to drop off promotional packages on behalf of the blues band of which Son is a member.

Back home, we decided to go for a pleasure drive to see if we could find the pasture of jonquils featured in tonight's local newspaper. We did find it, but the flowers are way past peak...the featured photo must have been taken a week or two ago. Back home, I made a note on next year's calendar to go snap some pictures of it earlier in March.

Hubbie spent the rest of the afternoon in the yard...he likes to half kill himself in the early days of the season, getting so sore he can barely walk, and then falling asleep exhausted in front of the TV. I think we should hire someone to help him get the yard in order, and then he could keep it up for the rest of the season, but he refuses to do that. Neither Mother nor I are in a shape to help him....Mother because of her age, of course, and me because of a lower back injury that prohibits much lifting, repeated squatting, bending, or twisting movements.

So Mother continued working her jigsaw puzzle, and I played on my computer, including sending a snapshot I did of the Super Moon last Saturday night to a TV station. I inadvertently got a lens flare on the photo that is very interesting, which I thought might intrigue the station's meteorologist. I also reviewed my lesson plan for tonight's Literacy Council student session.

Later, we had a supper of leftovers from yesterday's stewed chicken meal, and then I went to the college library to meet my student. When by six-fifteen she had not arrived, I tried calling the Literacy Council director to see if the student had opted to attend a "Talk Time" session again tonight, but I didn't reach her.

I didn't try to call the student, because I couldn't be sure I'd reach an English-speaking person. She's been good to call ahead of time if she plans not to attend a session, so I'm wondering what might have happened.

While I was at the library, I talked with a staff member to find out when might be a good time to bring a bunch of books from my collection to donate to the library for an upcoming book sale. The staff member asked if I am a friend of the library, and when I said no, she recommended that I become one so that I could be invited to a champagne reception and book preview in the college's memorial garden the evening before the sale opens to the public. Maybe I'll do that.

Back home, I grabbed my camera and headed into the yard to snap pictures of the tulips. What a beautiful evening! The temperature is just perfect. I wouldn't mind if it stayed this way for a long time. But I think it's supposed to get cooler later this week. Oh well, if it does, I'll be indoors most of the time, anyway, attending the annual film festival, which runs from Wednesday through Sunday.

Tonight, Hubbie and I watched the 2009, R-rated movie, "Crossing Over," starring Harrison Ford, Ashley Judd, and Ray Liotta. We've seen this movie before, fairly recently, but Hubbie seemed not to remember it. This is an emotional movie that revolves around a couple of families that get caught in the cross hairs of immigration officials.

0 comments: