Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thursday, March 31

Last day of March, and it's not going out without a winter fight...very chilly and rainy today, with a promise of sunshine and a temp in the high 70s tomorrow for the first day of April.

Got up at 7:30 and did a treadmill session and weights exercises after breakfast. Once I was ready for the day, I made three batches of potato salad for family (according to individual dietary needs) who will be here Saturday. Though the salads are for that day, we will sample them for supper tomorrow night.

Mother spent most of the day at home, where she made a recipe of macaroni salad for the weekend.

Otherwise today, we didn't accomplish much. I did do some research on squash for an article I've promised to the editor of the Master Gardener monthly newsletter. Then I wrote the first few paragraphs of the article.

After that, Hubbie watched a basketball game on TV, and I read my novel. Mother came over around 4 p.m. to join us for a supper of leftover potato soup and bran muffins. She went back home shortly afterward.

Before Hubbie and I settled in front of TV for the evening, he went to a grocery store to get milk and a few other items,including a battery for the upstairs smoke detector. Last night, the detector began beeping, so Hubbie took it down until morning.

I hadn't heard the beeping during the night, but when I got up, I immediately heard a muffled noise coming from my office. So I went to inspect. Was it my computer? I pressed my ear to the modem, and to the tower. No, nothing there. The printer? No. Maybe the bathroom scales indicate when the battery is low? No. How about the central heat and air unit behind a door in the hall? Nothing there. I was baffled.

Finally, I reported the noise to Hubbie. "It's the smoke detector, he said. "I buried it in the linen closet in your office until I could get around to changing the battery."

0 comments: