Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday, June 13

Up at 7:30, but skipped my exercises, because we expected the carpet cleaner to come around noon, and I wanted to be ready for the day early, in case he came early. And he did, around 11 a.m.

I'd gathered my tutoring materials and was at Mother's preparing today's lesson when he arrived. I'd also taken lunch and supper foods over there, because the carpet guy said we needed to allow about four hours for the carpet to dry.

While he was doing the job, the cats stayed in the sunroom, and Hubbie took Shih Tzu to the camper. When the carpet guy was done, Hubbie set up fans in the den and kithen/dining room, which hurried the drying process.

Around 2:15, I went to the college library down the road to meet with my student. She was there waiting for me. We spent the next two hours working. Today, she learned the beginning sounds of "w" and "wh," using words that sound alike, but are spelled differently and have different meanings: we, whee; wear, where; wit, whit; we'll, wheel; wine, whine; weather, whether, etc.

She also learned the differences in the ideas of "in" a space and "on" a space, like, "the books are in the library," and "the book is on the table." We touched on opposites, too, like pretty/ugly; tall/short; young/old.

We focused on structure: "there is" and "there are": "There is a picture on the table." "There are ten students in class." We also dealt with present and past tense: "I am cold today." "I was cold yesterday."

She had a bit of a problem understanding the concept of "were," and "weren't." And she wanted to pronounce "dishes" as "ditches," and "bank" as bunk." Otherwise, she did really well today.

Shortly after I got back home, we had a supper of leftover pork roast and veggies. I came home right after eating, because Hubbie was anxious to put the house back in order.

I was planning to work on hanging the curtains tomorrow, but we did it tonight instead. First came the frustrating process of adjusting the hardware for the old curtain rods, and then putting up hardware for the new rods. Took a while, but the terrible task was finally completed.

While Hubbie worked on the rods, I washed the sheers, and we hung them wet as soon as the rods were ready. Then I put the sage window scarves in the dryer to eliminate the wrinkles, and I struggled to get those up on the new rods. The effect is certainly different from the previous window treatments, but it'll do. At least everything's clean and fresh now.

At last, we sat down to a movie...the 2008 Lifetime Movie Network feature, "Secrets of Summer House." There's a curse on the family summer house and island that causes the males to be affected by strange symptoms. A male heir inherits the place, and is immediately in a near-fatal accident. His wife wants to turn the property into an artist's retreat, but she soon finds that her husband and unborn son are in danger. She has to break the curse, but how?

0 comments: