Monday, July 18, 2011

Monday, July 18

I woke up this morning around 4 a.m. with an awful tummy ache. Tossed and turned for an hour, before it eased. I think the raisin bran cereal for supper, followed by watermelon later decided to give me indigestion.

I slept for a while, and then got up at 6:30 to get ready to go to water aerobics. As usual, the pool felt wonderful. After Several more members attended today, and we all had a great time catching up on each other's lives.

This morning, we learned that the young lifeguard is to be with us from now on. I'm not sure why our other lifeguard (a coach at the college) has bowed out. Right now, he is in another state, and has been for a few weeks. I wonder if he's seeking another coaching position. He hasn't moved away, I know, because his wife (a former photography student of mine) is still working as a lab techician at the clinic.

Back home, Hubbie immediately told me that he'd found an element to fit the oven and had installed it. He also showed me the old element, on which an entire hunk was missing. Hubbie said it had burned away. No wonder nothing baked or cooked correctly lately!

Once I was ready for the day, I put together a garden basket, because Hubbie anticipated taking it to the fair this afternoon. But then we decided to wait until tomorrow morning, so the vegetables will stay fresh for judging on Wednesday.

After lunch, Hubbie went grocery shopping, and I worked on a lesson plan for my Literacy Council student. Hubbie was back home by the time I needed to use the van to go to the college.

The student was already there by the time I arrived just before 2:30. The first thing I discovered was that all the study rooms were occupied. So I spoke with the librarian, who assured me that I had reservations for a room. There was room with one student in it, so the librarian asked her to go to another area of the library.

The librarian then asked how long I'd want to reserve the room, because it was time for her to schedule on a new calendar. I told her it would be from now on, for as long as the student needed me, and that on any Mondays when we would not meet, I'd let her know so the room could be available for someone else.

Today, the student learned to use sentences with "will," and "won't," and how to transform statements into questions. She found it comical adding " 'll" to names, lke "Ann'll go shopping today," or to surnames like, "Mr. Hunt'll buy a new jacket." She had no problem with "she'll," "they'll," "we'll," etc.

She also had no problem understanding the concept of long and short vowels. But she was puzzled by the word sandwiches, because she imagined that the "wiches" part of the word had something to do with witches.

Words like hut, trick, and puck stumped her. But I was able to explain them, and then she looked them up in her Spanish/English dictionary. She questioned puck as being a name, and I told her that Puck was a character in Shakespeare, but that it is also a heavy disk for playing hockey (had to act this one out).

When our session was done at 4:30, I went to the fairgrounds, where Mother and Hubbie had reserved space for our place settings by putting the placemats down on the shelf and putting our basket of dinnerware, etc., on top.

Mother was sitting in a folding chair outside of the exhibit area when I arrived, where she'd been for nearly hour. So she was glad when I arrived and could arrange the place setting. Neither Hubbie nor she wanted to do this task, for fear of dropping the China and other glassware.

Hubbie had already obtained our entry numbers and had completed the tags for the many potted and hanging plants, and found spaces for them in the horticulture shed. So as soon as I completed the place setting task, we were all ready to come home.

Supper tonight was leftovers from yesterday...pork roast and trimmings...which we heated in the oven. It was about 6 p.m. by the time we sat down to eat.

Afterward, we spent an hour or so putting our individual entry numbers on all the tags. I searched everywhere, unsuccessfully, for a box big enough to put our entries in, and finally decided to empty a plastic tote to use. The crafts and canned goods are now ready to go to the fair tomorrow morning.

Today, Hubbie picked and tagged all the varieties of tomatoes that we'll enter in the fair, so those are ready to go tomorrow, too. This afternoon, one of the Master Gardeners, who is in charge of the vegetable shed, called to ask Hubbie to work the shed at 11 a.m. tomorrow, because he has an appointment for that last of hour. Exhibits are to be in place by noon.

Mother went home around 7 p.m., and Hubbie went out to water the gardens. Later, we watched a couple of one hour shows on TV.

0 comments: