Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday, August 12

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready to go to water aerobics. Maintenance personnel had added water to the pool since Wednesday, so it was pretty chilly, but still nice once I got used to it.

Back home after aerobics, I didn't do much of importance for the rest of the morning. Mother stayed at her house until after lunch.

Around 1 p.m., I went to a downtown church to take pictures of kids in rehearsal at a Shakespeare workshop, conducted by artists-in-residence of Troupe D' Jour. I finished the task around 3:30. Back home, Mother had brought order out of the chaos of our card-making. Sometime this weekend, we'll try to stow the stuff away until our next project.

Later, for supper, we had a supper of French toast, scrambled eggs, and turkey bacon.

At 6:30, we went downtown to see the kids perform a condensed and tweaked scene from Hamlet, titled "Hamlet Through a Glass Dimly." The first half hour consisted of presenting the death/ghost scene in Shakespearean mode. The second half hour consisted of a hilarious parody of the same scene. The kids did remarkably well memorizing difficult lines in a matter of only a week.

Our main reason for attending this evening was that the arts council director asked that I take a group picture after the performance. Had I known that a severe thunderstorm would crop up just as the play ended, I probably would not have suggested that Mother and Hubbie attend.

But Mother seemed interested in going, just to get out of the house. And she thoroughly enjoyed the kids. Hubbie not so much, since he had difficulty understanding the actors. This despite the fact that the audience was seated three quarters around and very close to the staging area.

I had the foresight to take a step stool with me, so I could take a picture of the twenty-four kids from above. This helped the camera flash to evenly light the group. I intended for Hubbie to give me a hand in getting up the two steps, but he disappeared...probably to check on the weather. So I had to ask the nearest guy to help me.

When the weather abated (though there was still lots of streaky lightening), we hurried to the van. Once I got Mother out of her wheelchair and into the van, I hurried around to the passenger side (because Hubbie had parked in the street to be closer to the door of the church fellowship hall).

Whoa! The passenger seat was wet! How did that happen? "You forgot to shut the sliding side door when you helped your Mother out of the van," Hubbie said. Oh? It was my fault? Wasn't I busy getting Mother into the wheelchair? And didn't Hubbie have the car remote key for shutting the door and locking the van?

The seat was wet enough that I had to change out of my very damp clothes when we got home. Let that be a lesson to me. Or not.

Our TV fare this evening was a 2009 movie called, "A Serious Man," about a Jewish family man and physics professor in the 1960s, whose life starts going down the tube when his wife wants another man, his tenure is threatened, he's involved in an auto accident, his son runs up a huge bill buying records-of-the-week, etc. Just as things start looking up, the movie provides a "huh?" ending. This is billed as a black comedy, and it does have its comic moments.













0 comments: