Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday, August 22

Up at 6:30 this morning in order to get ready to go to water aerobics. It was very foggy this morning, and as I was leaving the house, I noticed how the fog had misted dozens of spider webs laying atop ground cover around the well house. It was so interesting that I ran back inside to grab my camera and take a few shots.

The fog was so thick that the hill atop which the college is located was completely obscured, but the road approaching the college faces east, so the sunshine slanting through the trees and fog created a celestial look.

The usual parking lots across from the gym were full, so I had to turn around and go back down to the parking lots near the science building, which are more distant to the gym. By the time I got to the pool, it was already nearly 7:45, so I only had about fifteen minutes to swim in the deep end before aerobics began. The pool was really chilly, too. Nevertheless, twenty-nine of us showed up, including a couple of new folks.

Back home afterwards, once I was ready for the day, I briefly reviewed the lesson plan for meeting my student this afternoon. Mother and Sis came over while I was doing this, and we later had a sandwich lunch, and then finished a movie we began watching yesterday evening.

I met my student at the usual 2:30 hour. Today's lesson included the past tense of irregular verbs: rings/rang, gives/gave, drinks/drank, swims/swam, etc. It also included negative statements in the past tense: sat/didn't sit, ran/didn't run, etc.

The student learned future time expressions: going today/will go tomorrow, visit today/will visit next week; and use of "be" plus going to, as in: I'm going to buy a coat tomorrow; she's going to buy a dress next week, etc.

The student also learned new words, such as: hockey/hooky; posh/push; knock/nook, ban/bang; pin/ping; clan/clang, etc.

In the middle of our session, there came a loud thunderstorm, with pouring rain. It lasted until the end of our session. I didn't expect a storm, so I didn't have an umbrella with me. I had to make a run for it to my van, despite the rain, because I needed to be home by 4:45, when Hubbie had an appointment with the auto shop to have freon added (the air conditioner in the van hadn't been cooling properly).

Mother and Sis had prepared a supper of steak strips sauteed in onions and peppers, baked potatoes, and salad. It was about 5:30 before Hubbie was back with the van, and we could sit down to supper.

Afterward, we played several games of Skipbo, and then Mother and Sis went to Mother's house, and Hubbie and I watched TV for a short while before heading to bed.

0 comments: