Saturday, October 22, 2011

Saturday, Oct. 22

Hubbie got up at 6:30 this morning, so he could get ready to go help the Master Gardeners with a plant bulbs sale at the Extension Services office. The MGs arrived at 7:30 to get things set up for the sale that began at 8 a.m. and went on until noon.

I slept until 7:30, and after breakfast I did a treadmill session. Once I was ready for the day, I went to Mother's house to help her take a shower. Hubbie installed a flexible shower head in Mother's shower/tub yesterday to make it easier for her to bathe. I took our bathtub stool over to her house so she wouldn't have to stand while she bathed, and I wore a swimsuit, so I could get in the tub with her and help her stand and sit, and get into and out of the tub.

For several days, Mother has contented herself with bird baths, so she felt a lot better after having a full shower. The procedure exhausted her, though, so afterward she spent most of the day sitting in her rocking chair.

I put a load of towels and sheets into the washer for her, which she managed to put into the dryer later.

I returned home to do a few things around our house, and then checked on her after lunch. She said she was feeling a little nauseated after eating a slice a bread and butter, but otherwise she was okay.

After lunch, Hubbie and I went downtown for a little while...first to the museum to see what was going on during the family day event. I thought that a group of the Inter-Tribal Association were to be there to demonstrate dancing. But they didn't show up. However, this morning other members led visitors in erecting a 15-foot tepee, which sat on the front lawn this afternoon.

One member was explaining how early Indians killed a deer, skinned it, and dried the hide. A farrier had his tools for shoeing horses on display, and a man and his son demonstrated blacksmithing. A few members demonstrated bead work, leather work, and other native crafts.

From there, we went to Main Street, where an antiques and crafts fair was going on. I certainly hope the vendors had more success yesterday, because there weren't many folks in the area today. This was a bad day to plan any activity in town, because our state football team was playing, beginning at 11:30 this morning.

I recorded the game for us to watch later, so when we heard the game playing loudly on a radio in the pocket park, we refused to visit that area...we didn't want to know the score. There were several vendors in the park, but I missed visiting them.

We strolled through a couple of antique/flea market stores, but the only item I found was a small ceramic nativity scene that lights with a votive candle. It has a small broken place in one of the palm trees, but I guess it was worth the fifty cents I paid for it.

From there, we went to the WDCS for a few grocery items, including a pint of fat-free half and half milk to use in making cream of tomato soup.

I had planned to have bagel pizzas for supper, but since Mother didn't want to eat this evening, we opted for the soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.

We watched the football game as soon as we got back from town. We fully expected our team to win this game by a wide margin, but they only skinned by with a five point lead.

After the game, I went to check on Mother. She had fixed herself some Ramen noodle soup for supper and seemed to feel better. I visited for a while, washed her dishes, and moved the intercom from the end table near the couch to the end table near the rocking chair, where she is spending most of her time. I don't want her to have to hop up to answer it when I call.

Back home, Hubbie and I watched the 1998 psychological thriller movie, "Safe House," starring Patrick Stewart. Past government activities put an ex-intelligence operative in danger. He apparently has secret infomation about a presidential front-runner. But now he is in the early stages of Alzheimer's Disease and fears for his life. He has a sophisticated computer monitoring system, and a closet full of disguises for when he needs to leave his house. During his working life, his family had no idea about his work life, so his daughter and son-in-law are convinced he's simply being paranoid, and they hire a caretaker for him.

0 comments: