Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday, Oct. 23

Slept late, until around 8 a.m. Hubbie was already downstairs when I came down. Skipped my exercises, and as soon as I was ready for the day, I checked on Mother at her house. She seemed fine, except that her back is still really bothering her. She's not doing much beyond sitting in her rocking chair.

Back home, I started a pot of New England stew simmering. Hubbie helped with the task by cutting up vegetables for me. While the stew cooked, I did the usual Sunday things of programming the DVR and reading the Sunday newspaper.

Just before noon, I fixed a pan of cornbread and a package of biscuits. Then I took a serving of the stew and some cornbread to Mother for her lunch. I thought she might not be interested in this meal today, but she said she wanted to try it.

After lunch, I fixed a batch of instant chocolate pudding, and then around 2 p.m., Hubbie and I went to a college to see the drama department's
production of "The Sweetest Swing in Baseball." A famous female painter's work declines, and she tries to commit suicide. She is sent to a psychiatric hospital and becomes so fond of the facility that she doesn't want to leave. But her insurance is running out, so she decides to pretend she thinks she's Darryl Strawberry, the famous black baseball player, in hopes of fooling the hospital staff into extending her stay.

I don't think this was one of the college's better productions. It was okay, but just not outstanding. Hubbie kept nodding off, and some guy behind us went so far as to snore.

Back home, I checked on Mother, who seemed fine. She thought that all she wanted for supper was a bowl of Cherrios, so I fetched the box from the top of her freezer so she wouldn't have to reach for them or use a step stool.

For our supper, Hubbie and I had whole wheat pancakes. Afterward, we watched TV, including the 2000 movie, "Autumn in New York," starring Richard Gere and Winona Rider. This is a romance about a handsome older man, who falls for a young woman, whom he finds out later is terminally ill.

On a lighter note: at the scrapbook club meeting last Thursday, the other member and I discussed the book, "The Help," and the movie based on it. Then she mentioned that she hosted a birthday party for her daughter recently. Without thinking, she baked a chocolate pie for it. Upon seeing it, her daughter said, "Mama, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness, but I don't think I can eat that pie." (Anyone who doesn't see the humor in this needs to read the book or see the movie).

0 comments: