Friday, October 28, 2011

Thursday, Oct. 27

Hubbie and Sis arrived in time to hear the doctor announce that Mother would be discharged today. After the doctor left, Hubbie and I visited the snack nook to get free juices, milk, and coffee. And then we went to the cafeteria to get pastries.

A nurse gave us a sort of puzzled look when we stepped into the elevator. "You know that we had power outage last night, don't you?" We did, but we were told the elevators were working now, so we decided to dare it, even though there were no lights in there except for a small strip over the floor indicator.

Made it down the three floors and back up again without incident. I'm thinking I should get a t-shirt that says, "I rode the WRMC elevator and survived."

After breakfast, I came back home to gather what Mother would need for dressing to come home. At the hospital, I found that breakfast...finally...had been served to Mother. Her appetite is still small, so she only ate about half of her food.

Once Mother was dressed, I pulled the van around to a curb to make it easier for her to get into the seat. I had to wait a few minutes before Sis and a nurse wheeled Mother to the van in a wheelchair.

Mother was much cheered to get home. She ate a half a deli turkey sandwich with us, and for supper enjoyed boiled chicken (that Sis had prepared), with mashed potatoes and gravy and English peas.

After supper, Sis and I worked together to help Mother take a shower, since she'd had nothing but bird baths for several days. Hubbie took the doors off the shower stall, and installed a flexible shower head, and with the shower stool and assistance getting into the tub, Mother did fine taking a shower. She felt so much better afterward.

Sis went home later, and Hubbie went to bed upstairs, but I stayed on the couch so I could be close by if Mother needed me in the middle of the night. She slept in the spare bedroom just off the den.

0 comments: