Saturday, October 29, 2011

Saturday, Oct. 25

Up at 7 a.m. Once I got Mother settled in her rocking chair in the den, Hubbie served breakfast...toast and jelly for Mother; cereal, juice, toast, and coffee for Hubbie and me.

After breakfast, I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises, since I've missed my exercise sessions and water aerobics all week.

After that, I helped Mother go to the table and chair in the kitchen, where she chopped veggies for chicken salad, while I got ready for the day. Back downstairs, I put the chicken salad together, making a batch with only chicken, boiled egg, spices, and salad dressing for Mother, and one batch for Hubbie and me with onion, celery, pickle, apple, pecans, Crasins, spices, and salad dressing. Later, I added fresh pineapple.

Then, we watched TV for awhile, including a new series called, "Grimm," which is a fantasy/mystery/crime drama, in which a detective can see folks change from ordinary people to spooky people, like The Big Bad Wolf. He learns from his dying aunt that he is a Grimm, from a family of monster hunters, who can see ordinary people for the monsters they are. Thinly disguised Fairy Tales are woven into the stories.

For lunch, Mother opted for the last of the mashed potatoes and gravy, with English peas, while Hubbie and I had chicken noodle soup.

Afterward, I got into my swimsuit and helped Mother take a shower. Once she was bathed and dressed, I got her comfortably settled in bed for an afternoon nap, while Hubbie and I watched our favorite college football team squeak by to a win. The game started at 11 a.m., but I'd recorded it on DVR.

Mother woke up around 3 p.m. for a bathroom visit. She complained that her back hurt...not the lower back where the compression fracture is, but the middle of her back, which she's complained about for quite a while. I gave her a couple of Tylenol capsules, and after awhile, she said the pain had eased. She went back to sleep.

When the ball game was over, I made a pan of macaroni and cheese to go with our chicken salad sandwiches for supper. I thought mac and cheese might be easy on Mother's stomach.

She slept until around 6:30, and woke up hungry. So she was plenty ready to eat, and enjoyed her supper. While she was eating, I started a movie from the DVR, the PG, 2001, movie, "Madison," starring Jim Caviezel. The plot revolves around a backwater Indiana town that decides to take on the challenge of hosting the hydroplane regatta in 1971, and a man's personal struggle to victory in that race. Based on a true story, the only city-owned hydroplane in the world, the Miss Madison, won the Gold Cup at that regatta.

Note: I was pleased to receive a report in the mail today advising that my mammograms showed normal.

0 comments: