Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday, Jan. 22

Tossed and turned until nearly 2 a.m. this morning, then slept until 8:30. Hubbie helped Mother come over to our house after breakfast.

Skipped my exercises and got busy in the kitchen instead. Started two pots of 11-bean soup simmering, then made a batch of Chinese beets. While I was doing that, Hubbie scrubbed sweet potatoes for baking, and Mother put together a recipe of barbecue pork chops.

The pork chop recipe is easy and delicious: place four to six pork chops (we prefer butterfly) in a baking dish. Mix a couple of cups of barbecue sauce with diced carrots, onions, and celery. Pour over pork chops, cover, and bake at 350 degrees for an hour and a half.

Once the potatoes and pork chops were in the oven, Hubbie put color in my hair, in anticipation of a hair cut appointment Wednesday.

Twenty-five minutes later, I was finally ready to shower and dress. Back downstairs, I boiled corn-on-the-cob, and at 12:30, were ready to sit down to lunch. The pork chops were very tasty, served with the sweet potatoes, corn, and beets.

Once the kitchen was cleaned up, I decided it would be nice to make a short trip to see hundreds of snow geese feeding in a rice field about fourteen miles away. Mother rode along. I wasn't sure the geese would be there, but wanted to go see, anyway. Naturally, I chose the most dismal of days to do this...dense fog and a misting rain.

But the geese were there, and I got several snapshots of them lifting off, and in flight overhead. The photos are soft-focused, thanks to the fog, but they are still interesting.

Back in town, we stopped by a pharmacy store for an on-sale item, then went to a grocery store/pharmacy to pick up a prescription for Mother.

Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house when we got back. I went upstairs to post the a few of the snow geese snapshots to my social network page. I also scanned a couple of photos of my older son as a baby and as a child, and posted those to my page, as well.

Spent the evening watching TV, of course. The early evening hours were a bit dicey because of thunderstorm and tornado watches and warnings. Thankfully, the storms moved passed us quickly. We got a lot of rain, and the power went off a couple of times, but came back on right away.

Some counties received hail, and winds downed power poles and trees in the southern part of the state, but as far as I know nothing much happened in our county. Daylight will reveal any damage, if there was any.

Once we knew the storm was gone, we watched a movie from the Lifetime Channel that I'd recorded on DVR..."Drew Peterson: Untouchable." The 2012 movie stars Rob Lowe as the Chicago cop, who has been indicted and is being held in detention awaiting trial for killing his third wife, after his fourth wife disappeared.

0 comments: