Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sunday, Feb. 26

Slept late, until around 8 a.m. Skipped my exercises, as I usually do on Sunday. Right after breakfast, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, and we got a beef stew started in the slow cooker. Mother prepared the veggies, Hubbie peeled the potatoes, I browned the meat, and put the stew together.

My recipe for beef stew calls for seasoning the stew meat with no-salt seasoning, pepper, and paprika, then rolling it in flour. I brown it in olive oil before putting it in the slow cooker with carrots, onions, celery, and potatoes. I add two cans of low-sodium beef broth, and two cans of low-sodium chicken broth, and add more pepper, no-salt seasoning, paprika, a pinch of rosemary, a little bit of thyme, and a teaspoon of garlic from a jar. The flour on the beef thickens the broth in the stew.

When the stew was ready, I mixed a batch of biscuit dough. I replaced the shortening the recipe calls for with low-fat margarine, and added sour milk. After I'd mixed the dough, Mother finished by kneading the dough on lightly floured brown paper and cutting out the biscuits.

The steaming stew and melt-in-your-mouth biscuits were delicious. Afterward, I accompanied Mother back to her house and helped her take a shower. I threw a load of laundry in the washer before I came back home.

I spent the rest of the afternoon doing laundry, as well as some household chores in anticipation of Hubbie's daughter visiting tomorrow, programming the DVR for the week's movies and shows, reading the Sunday newspaper, and reading a volume of inspirational verses that I plan to pass along to a daughter-in-law, who I think will enjoy them.

Hubbie spent his afternoon in the yard.

Later, after a supper of cold cereal and toast, we watched one-hour shows on TV until bedtime.

0 comments: