Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thursday, Feb. 2

What a gorgeous day it has been! Sunshine and balmy temperature.

We slept late, until around 8 a.m. After breakfast, I went to Mother's house to help her shower, and then put a load of laundry in the washer.

Back home, I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises. It was almost noon before I was ready for the day. Hubbie helped Mother to our house around 11:30, and we had a lunch of soups and sandwiches.

After lunch, Hubbie went to the WDCS to pick up pectin, jar lids, and sugar. Then Mother and I worked together to make a batch of strawberry jam. I cooked the fruit, after which she skimmed the foam off, filled the jars, and put lids and rings on them. I tightened the lids and put the jars in a water bath for the required time.
All the jars sealed properly, and the jam looks good. Hopefully, it will be properly jelled, too, when it cools.

This project lifted Mother's spirits and made her feel useful and productive. I'm hoping we can make more jellies and jams in the coming weeks, since there are berries and juices in the freezer that need to be used. If nothing comes up, I'm planning to make a batch each Thursday.

After this project, Mother relaxed, while Hubbie and I went back to the WDCS for groceries. I wanted to get the weekend shopping out of the way, since predictions are for stormy weather tomorrow.

At the store, we noticed there were several racks of winter clothes marked 50% off. I found a brown fleece jacket that I can use. We also bought several more packages of canning lids. They are on sale for a dollar a package, because they have a red check design that I suppose was intended for the holidays. They are very pretty, I think, and can be used to make food gifts.

I also bought a wide-mouth funnel, which will make it easier to pour jams and jellies into canning jars. It was a bit messy today using a measuring cup.

Back home, Mother helped me make rice pudding, by measuring the cooked rice, milk, and sugar, which I then stirred and cooked. Once the pudding had thickened (about a half hour later), I added vanilla, golden raisins, and nutmeg to the mixture.

We relaxed for a while after that and then put leftovers in a baking dish for supper. Relaxed a while longer while supper heated. The leftovers were good, followed by bowls of still-warm rice pudding.

Hubbie accompanied Mother home afterward. I turned the TV off at 6 p.m., and Hubbie and I pursued our own activities:

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

I think Mom already has a canning funnel at her house. Maybe in the second drawer in the kitchen? Somewhere. I remember seeing it.

Sixty Something said...

I think you're right, but we couldn't seem to put our hands on it. Won't hurt to have another one, though, at my house.