Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tuesday, March 27

Up at 7:30, but had to skip my exercises again, so I could make sure the house was ready for a card making session with the scrapbook club ladies this afternoon.

Also, Mother and I worked together to make egg salad and tuna salad for today's lunch, as well as to take with us tomorrow for a "brown bag" lunch at the museum, where the first of the Film Festival offerings will be shown.

Hubbie and I saw to it that the house was made presentable before lunch. We finished the task around 10:30, after which I gathered supplies needed for the afternoon project. I spread out rubber stamps, punches, stickers, pre-made cards in both white and buff, and colored card stock, so the ladies could choose whatever they needed to make cards. These are supplies that I purchased with grant money from the Extension Homemakers Council, to be used for the express purpose of making greeting cards for Caring Hands Hospice.

The ladies arrived sharply at 1 p.m., and we worked for two hours making Easter cards. Including the ones that Mother, Sis and I made a few days ago, we now have 33 cards to give to Caring Hands.

Around 2 p.m., we took a break, and I served dishes of sweetened strawberries (the first of the season) along with Girl Scout cookies. The ladies opted for water over tea or coffee.

Re: strawberries: I was surprised when a local roadside produce vendor called yesterday to let me know that strawberries are ready. It's usually May before the fruit comes into season. But everything...flowers and fruits...are maturing early this year, due to the uncommonly warm winter and early spring.

Since the berries are in, we will need to hurry and get some of them into the freezer, despite a busy upcoming couple of weeks. Mother, always anxious to be of use, wants to help work on the berries. So we'll get a flat of them and let her do as much as she feels like doing.

After the ladies left, Mother and I cleared away the card making mess, and then relaxed until suppertime. Supper tonight was another round of Dragon Soup, served with cornbread and canned biscuits...and honey for combating pollen allergies.

Following supper, I accompanied Mother to her house, where I helped her take a shower, and then threw a load of laundry in the washer.

Hubbie and I spent the rest of the evening watching TV, including the first elimination round of this season's "Dancing With the Stars."

0 comments: