Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thursday, May 31

Today is the last day of May. Another month has flown by!

Slept late, until nearly 8 a.m. Right after breakfast, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house. Before I got on the treadmill, Hubbie found all the cherry tomatoes we'd put in the freezer last summer...five quarts...and I simmered them until the skins released. While I did a treadmill session and resistance exercises, Mother removed the tomato skins. Then we bagged the tomatoes for the freezer again. The five quarts were reduced to one quart, which I'll use in the next batch of dragon soup.

After that, I retrieved two gallons of muscadine grapes from the freezer, and simmered them in two batches until the skins released. I set them aside to cool, while I got ready for the day. Back downstairs, I found that Mother had already squeezed juice from one batch.

After lunch, I helped squeeze the second batch of grapes. We got almost a gallon of juice for making jelly. If nothing comes up, we plan to make at least one recipe of jelly tomorrow.

While we were occupied with these projects, Hubbie worked in the yard, including planting a rose bush that Sis brought to Mother recently for a Mother's Day gift. He also called the plumber, because the water was draining slowly at her house. At least once a year, we have to take care of this problem.

Mother and I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in front of TV. Supper was leftover chicken noodle soup from last night, with biscuits and a choice of honey or jelly. I accompanied Mother to her house afterward, and then Hubbie and I wasted time in front of TV.

Tonight, we watched another LMN movie: the 2005 "Forbidden Secrets." A woman separated from her husband moves back to the family home, where her aunt died tragically, and where she almost drowned at the age of six, when her mentally disturbed mother jumped into the swimming pool while clutching her.

0 comments: