Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tuesday, Nov. 27

Up around 7:30, and did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast.

Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house around 9 a.m., and she fluffed the pine trees for the mantel. As soon as she was done, I arranged them among the village pieces. This inspired a search for the garland that Hubbie annually staples on the mantel below the village.

In searching for that, we pulled all the boxes of Christmas stuff out of the closet, and put them on the bed and floor, where they'll be easier to deal with in locating other decorations. Finally found the garland, which Hubbie put on the mantel. This in turn inspired him to locate the international Santas that I hang from the garland.

While he did this, I gathered ingredients for making another pumpkin pie, and Mother mixed the filling, which I poured into the shell and put in the oven. I still hadn't showered and dressed for the day, and now I had to wait until the pie was done before I went upstairs.

Note: the Pillsbury pie crusts have shrunk. They barely reach the edge of the pie plate now, where they used to be generous enough to make a high fluted edge, or cut off and make another small treat. In the past, I rolled out the scraps, spread the dough with butter, and added cinnamon and sugar, then rolled it up, pinched the ends, and baked it till golden. Hubbie liked these.

While I waited, I put the santas on the garland, and set out some other decorations. By this time, it was noon, so I fixed Ramen Noodle soup for Mother, and Hubbie and I had hot rolls, ham, and cranberry sauce.

After lunch, Hubbie went to the WDCS for groceries and incidentals. When he'd finished shopping, he found that the van wouldn't start. So he called our road service, and then waited quite a while for the service to arrive. Turned out the van needed a new battery. I guess the vehicle was due for a new battery, since the old one was five years old, the length of time we've owned the van.

It seemed to be a day for vehicle problems...Sis had to wait until her son changed a flat tire on her truck today, before she could drive up to our house for a four-day visit.

Mother retired to the couch after lunch, and I finally went upstairs to get ready for the day. Back downstairs, I gathered materials needed for making greeting cards, and as I began making one, Mother got up and wanted to help.

We had just begun working, when Sis arrived. After she had a ham salad sandwich, I prevailed upon her to help us with the cards. We needed nine more to complete a package of 40 for Caring Hands, and in an hour or so, we accomplished the task.

Hubbie finally returned home, and did this and that around the house, while Mother, Sis, and I chatted until suppertime. Supper tonight was chili, topped with sour cream, and served with crackers and cheese.

Later, around 6:15, we went to the college down the road to attend a free performance of "The Night Before Christmas," a children's show, featuring the art council's childrens theater. I've seen several productions by this repertory theater, and they are always clever, humorous, and highly entertaining.

The performance was only about an hour long, so we were back home just after 8 p.m. Sis immediately accompanied Mother to her house, and Hubbie and I watched TV for the rest of the evening.

***********************************************************************************

Got a call from the water aerobics leader. Seems the lifeguard at the pool is down with the flu, so it will be at least Monday before we can return to aerobics. She also noted that our annual "Water Babes" Christmas party and Dirty Santa gift exchange will be next Wednesday at 11 a.m. Phooey, already a conflict...Caring Hands Hospice has scheduled the tree lighting event for noon that day. Can't go to both, so the "Water Babes" party wins.

Daughter also called to let me know that there will be two more great-grandchildren attending the graham cracker Christmas house workshop on Saturday, so I called the arts council director to make sure there is space for them, and there is.















0 comments: