Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday, Dec. 16

Up around 7 a.m. Skipped my exercises so I could finish preparations for company, expected to arrive around 10 a.m.

Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house around 9:30, and she helped in the kitchen by cubing cold chicken, fixing a recipe of coleslaw, and helped with other things. Meanwhile, I finished making the Chinese Chicken Soup. Later, I heated the other soups, as well as barbecue and sauce, and did all the other things related to the meal.

Hubbie's daughters and families arrived just after 10 a.m., bringing with them an assortment of goodies...cherry-chocolate cake, cookies, nuts steamed with spices, including cayenne pepper (which my stomach won't tolerate), along with pigs in a blanket, for the kids, I guess.

We visited until time to finish lunch preparations. Hubbie's grandson and his family were supposed to arrive around lunchtime, but they were delayed, so we went ahead and with the meal. When we were finished, we cleared the table for the new arrivals, who finally got here around 1 p.m.

After lunch and clean up, one of the daughters, and a couple of great-granddaughters, joined Mother in working on a jigsaw puzzle. Before long, Grandson's wife left the house, and I was told she was having a severe allergic reaction to the cats. I really thought everyone in the family was aware of the cats, and would have come prepared with medication. She did have some medication, but she needed her inhaler, which she didn't have. I felt really bad about this episode. We will have to find ways to reduce cat dander in the house for folks with these allergies.

Later, we exchanged Christmas gifts. Of course, the daughters were far more generous than we were. Hubbie received gift certificates to favorite stores, gardening objects, like hose nozzles, and a pretty windchime...a violet colored stained glass looking cross, with chimes.

I got a large canvas tote...in fact, this daughter gave each woman one of these...that she said is a very handy travel item. It collapses, then snaps open into a rectangular shape, with a removeable lid. She also gave me a flat iron tote, with my initial machine embroidered on it. I don't use a flat iron or curling iron, so I'm not sure what I'll do with it.

The other daughter gave me a necklace and bracelet of multi-colored beads in tones that will complement the colors I wear. In fact, they matched the knit shirt I wore today, so I immediately put them on.

Mother got a set of pretty dish towels, on which are embroidered "Peace," and "Joy." She also got a tube of hand cream.

Shortly after the gift exchange, Grandson and his family were ready to leave. Before they did, we gathered in the yard for snapshots.

Back inside, Daughter and Mother worked a while longer on the jigsaw puzzle, before everyone had to leave around 4 p.m.

Around 5 p.m., we had a sandwich supper, and then Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house. We spent the rest of he evening watching TV. Big day. Pooped.




0 comments: