Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sunday, Dec. 9

Today, both of Hubbie's daughters are celebrating birthdays (born two years apart). Happy Birthday Daughters!

Stormy night last night. At midnight, there was a thunderstorm, with driving rain and hail. When Mother came over later, she said the storm woke her up, too, so she went to the living room to turn on the TV to check for storm warnings. It was hailing so hard that she feared it would break her kitchen window out.

We slept late, until 8 a.m., and I skipped my exercises again, since it's Sunday. Once I was ready for the day, and Mother came over, we started a pork roast cooking in the slow cooker. Mother peeled and quartered onions, Hubbie peeled potatoes, and I did the rest.

While lunch cooked, Hubbie began the task of cleaning out the laundry room. I helped him move the dryer onto the back porch, but he'll need to get another guy to help him get the washing machine out. We didn't want to wait until the guys who deliver the new appliances come on the 18th to get the machines out of there, because we'd like to paint that room before the new appliances arrive.

The pork roast, with carrots, onions, and potatoes, a recipe of gravy, and individual cups of applesauce, was very good.

After lunch, Mother and I attempted to make a batch of strawberry jam, but it seemed like everything that could go wrong did. First off, I discovered the only Sure Jell I had was the liquid kind...a bargain that Hubbie ran into recently. I wanted the dry kind. So off to the store he went to get what I wanted.

Then, in the process of measuring strawberries and sugar, Mother put the sugar right into the batch of strawberries, instead of measuring it into a separate bowl. So, I decided to bag those berries for the freezer, and start over again.

Mother began scooping berries into freezer bags, but in the process, one of the bags slipped out of her hand and spilled into her lap. She had a dish towel on her lap, but the juice still leaked through to her jeans.

I quickly grabbed the towel full of berries off her lap and threw it into the sink, then went upstairs to find a pair of fleece pants for her to change into. After she changed, I immediately treated her jeans, so the strawberry juice wouldn't stain them.

Hubbie located two more bags of strawberries in Mother's freezer, and I opened them into a bowl and used an ice pick to break them up. While they thawed, I took loads of laundry to Mother's house to wash, since our washer is broken.

Before I dealt with the laundry, though, I urged Mother to go to the couch for a nap. She was frustrated with herself, even though I assured her that the strawberry incident wasn't entirely her fault. I should have made sure they were on the stove, out of her way, before she started measuring the sugar. I know she gets confused, so I need to be more vigilant.

Fortunately, we didn't have anything else planned for the day, so as soon as the strawberries thawed enough, I measured them and the sugar, and started the cooking process.

Mother finished her nap as I was doing this, and was ready to help by skimming the strawberries, and ladling them into the jars, wiping the rims, and putting lids and rings on them. I processed them, of course.

There was a thunderstorm warning and tornado watch this afternoon, so I was glad to get the strawberry jam project out of the way before bad weather rolled in. As it happened, nothing came of the storm warnings but a little thunder in the distance and light rain.

Between tasks today, Mother and I watched "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas," and "Charlie Brown Christmas." Hubbie occupied himself with other projects.

For supper, Mother opted for Ramen Noodle soup, with crackers and Italian Cream Cheese ball; I had the remainder of the leftover spaghetti, with cottage cheese; and Hubbie had the remaining turkey cheeseburger from last night, with crackers and Italian Cream Cheese.

Afterward, Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house, and then he and I watched TV, including old Hallmark movies on DVD.




0 comments: