Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Wednesday, March 20

Today is the first day of spring, even though snow is predicted for our county tomorrow!

I skipped water aerobics this morning, of course, and slept late, until around 8 a.m. But I did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house later, and she went to work on her jigsaw puzzle.

I postponed getting ready for the day, and did a few things to spruce the house, while Hubbie vacuumed, and cleaned the bathroom, etc. We did these things in anticipation of a scrapbook club meeting tomorrow, since the morning news indicated that we were not in the predicted snow area. Two hours later, that forecast changed, of course, to include our county.

Anyway, it was after lunch before I finally went upstairs to get ready for the day. While I was up there, one of the scrapbook club members called to say, not surprisingly, that she would not attend the meeting tomorrow. I was sure the other member would not attend, either, but I called her to confirm it.

Since plans for tomorrow had changed, Hubbie and I decided after lunch to run a few errands...to the newspaper office to drop off this week's word search puzzle contest; to the card shop to get an Easter card for Mother, and a wedding shower card, plus a new jigsaw puzzle to use as an Easter gift for Mother; to a gift shop to pick up a pound of Mother's favorite brand of jelly beans (also for Easter); and to a grocery store for a few items.

At one point at the grocery store the power went out temporarily. We at the very back of the store, and being in the dark back there felt strange. I was glad the lights came back on quickly.

There was a long line at the checkout counter. When a girl behind me wondered why there was a line, I commented that it was because of the weather forecast. People were stocking up, even though whatever snow may fall is not supposed to hinder traffic, and will melt off quickly due to a temperature above freezing. But winter weather warnings never fail to cause knee-jerk reactions in folks.

We were not at the store to stock up on milk and bread...we were there to avail ourselves of a sale on canned chicken broth, which is a staple ingredient in many of my recipes. We snatched up all of the 99% fat-free, low-sodium cans of it that there were on the shelf.

At the checkout counter, I think the checker was irritated because we had several items more than the "15 or less" posted for this speedy checkout lane. We really should have gone to another lane, but we just absent-mindly rolled up to this one.

I tried to speed up the process by helping to bag the groceries, but she took over and flung items in bags willy-nilly, and then shoved the bags at me. By the time we got home, half the stuff had fallen out of the bags and rolled or slid around on the floorboard.

Back home, I made a peach cobbler, and then relaxed with my e-reader tablet until time to prepare supper. Supper tonight was split pea soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. Hubbie grilled the sandwiches for us. Had peach cobbler with ice cream for dessert, of course.

Hubbie accompanied Mother home afterward, and then he and I watched one-hour shows on TV.

0 comments: