Friday, May 10, 2013

Friday, May 10

On a day when I didn't have anything special planned, and I could have slept late, I naturally woke up at 6:30 a.m. Didn't get up, though, until Hubbie rose at 8 a.m.

Did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises after breakfast. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house mid-morning, and she worked on her jigsaw puzzle. Hubbie ran an errand after that, and then spent time in the yard.

Once I was ready for the day, I busied myself around the house until time to fix lunch for Mother. Today, she had Ramen Noodle soup. I wasn't very hungry, so I had a slice of bread with peanut butter, and half an apple. Hubbie had a PB&J sandwich, chips, and fruit.

After lunch, Mother returned to her puzzle, Hubbie want back outside, and I went shopping. Went to a department store first to see if I could use a 25% off coupon to get a suitable top to wear to an arts council event in June.

I lucked out and found an on-sale crocheted three-quarter-length sleeve tunic top, in teal green color, that I can wear with a white shell, and white slacks. Now all I need is a chunky costume jewelry necklace in a contrasting color, like pink or yellow, to make the outfit look fashionably up-to-date.

From there, I went to the book/movie sellers store to look for the newest movie musical, "Les Miserable," on DVD. New ones were pretty expensive, but I found a used one for $6.99, which came with the offer that I could choose another movie for a dollar. I chose "The Life of Pi," since we haven't seen that one yet.

I also bought a paperback magazine-style book on card making. It has a ton of ideas for making birthday cards, and I'm sure it's going to be very useful when we make cards for Caring Hands (and even for ourselves).  For these purchases, I used a gift card that Mother gave me for Christmas. So Merry Christmas to me.

Back home, I relaxed and read the local newspapers until time to prepare supper. Tonight it was breakfast for supper...pancakes, and scrambled egg substitute. Hubbie added turkey sausage to his meal.

I gathered the ingredients for the pancakes, and Mother put it together. We used sour milk from Mother's refrigerator for the batter. Hubbie cooked the pancakes, and I did all the other things...scrambled the eggs, heated the pancake syrup, dinner plates, and coffee, set the table, etc.

Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house after supper, and then he and I went downtown to the art gallery to attend a reception for a new exhibit...a traveling show of young artists, ages kindergarten to twelfth grade. I love children's art. It's always so refreshingly creative and expressive. Makes me smile.

Startling: just after we arrived at the gallery, three people on racing bicycles rode up, and one of them, a woman, promptly fell over on her side. Apparently, she was unable to dislodge her feet from the pedals. She was clad in Spandex and was wearing a helmet, but I bet she's going to have a big old bruise on her hip.

At home, we did the usual...watched TV, mainly one-hour shows I'd recorded on DVR.

************************************************

Learned something strange today: it seems one of the Master Gardeners in Hubbie's group recently experienced an eye problem...a scratched cornea that got worse with time. An opthalmological exam showed that her eye has been contaminated with an ameba. She has been prescribed medication for it that is supposed to take care of the problem with time. I've never heard of a parasite like that invading an eye. In researching it, I learned ameba can hitch a ride on a contact lens. Apparently, this lady does wear contact lenses, which is probably how she scratched her eye.





0 comments: