Saturday, December 7, 2013

Saturday, Dec. 7

Today is Pearl Harbor Day. Seventy-two years ago today, the Imperial Japanese Navy attacked a U.S. Naval base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, which led the United States into World War II. A month later, I took my first breath. We would have flown the flag on the well house, except that the yard is solid ice.

The road out front is solid ice, too, so very little traffic traveled on it today, and what did crawled along at a snail's pace. Since it's the weekend, most folks are wisely staying home. But if this winter stuff doesn't go away soon, folks will either begin braving it, or risk cabin fever. We in the south don't take well to being confined for long.

I slept late this morning, until around 8 a.m. After breakfast, I hopped into my exercise clothes and did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises. It felt good to exercise again after almost two weeks away from it. I was afraid I'd be forced to do an abbreviated session, but I got through the whole routine just fine.

My cough seems to be subsiding, too, and there's no more nose blowing. I'm almost recovered, I think.

While I exercised, Hubbie went over to Mother's house, and discovering how slick the ground and the ramp are, he advised against Mother trying to walk over here.

When he returned, he put color in my hair, in anticipation of a haircut appointment early next week. I hope there is a thaw before then, or I'll have to change my appointment. The weathermen are predicting more frozen stuff tonight, but mainly for counties east of us, so maybe we'll dodge it this time.

Once I was ready for the day, I prepared a Ramen noodle soup lunch for Mother, which Hubbie took to her. When he returned, we had chicken salad sandwiches, and then we each occupied ourselves in our own activities.

My goal was to get several Christmas gifts ready, including a gift pack for the upcoming water aerobics Christmas party. This year, I'm giving two jars of my homemade jelly in the little wooden crate I bought at the recent Holiday Open House, plus a little birdhouse ornament. The gift will be part of the Dirty Santa game.

Did this and that around the house after that until around 3 p.m., when Hubbie and I sat down to watch our favorite college basketball team, as they played to a win.

After that, I heated potato soup and blueberry muffins for supper. Hubbie took servings to Mother, along with a slice of pound cake that I bought at the Friends of the Library fundraiser recently.

Hubbie watched a football game afterward, while I read a short book (only a few pages over 100), by the humorist, Dave Barry, called "The Shepherd, The Angel, and Walter, the Christmas Miracle Dog."

Later, we watched TV, including the 2012 movie, "Hitchcock," starring Anthony Hopkins and Helen Mirren. The film centers on the relationship between Hitchcock and his wife, Alma, and their collaboration on Hitchcock's most famous movie, "Psycho."

*****************************************

Niece from New York called today. She was a little down, since this is the first Christmas season following the death of her dad (my brother). I did my best to comfort her and assure her that it would not dishonor her father to go ahead and bake cookies and decorate a tree. I reminded her that her dad loved Christmas, and she should celebrate in remembrance of him.











0 comments: