Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Wednesday, Dec. 11

Today is Daughter's birthday. Happy Birthday, Daughter!

Up this morning around 8 a.m., after lying awake until around 2:30 a.m. After breakfast, Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, where she made a batch of pimento cheese, while I did stair stepping, resistance bands, and weights exercises.

After that, I went upstairs and typed instructions for making wine jelly. Since the lady who wants the instructions has never made jelly before, I listed every single thing she'll need for the process, and then gave detailed instructions for making the jelly.

Then I got ready for the day. By now, it was noon, so we sampled the pimento cheese in sandwiches. After lunch, Mother diced veggies for making chili, and I started a pot of it simmering.

Today, I used a chub of 85/15 ground turkey in the chili, since there was no other choice at the WDCS yesterday. In fact, there were lots of empty shelves in the meat counters. And for the first time that I can remember, the deli was completely closed down. I suppose the icy weather kept delivery trucks from running.

Mother went to her jigsaw puzzle after the chili was on the stove. Hubbie occupied himself with this and that, and I goofed off reading several back issues of newspapers, and playing on my tablet.

The chili was good at suppertime. I had just enough time to finish my meal before I had to go downtown to attend a visual arts committee meeting.

If I had known how much ice was piled up along the sidewalk curb, I probably wouldn't have gone to the meeting. I had to park a quite a way from the gallery, and since I didn't want to risk sliding on the icy curb, I walked down the street until I found a place less piled with it, and carefully accessed the sidewalk.

Much of the meeting dealt with an upcoming juried art show, which I'm only barely interested in. But one agenda item involved viewing an artist's work to decide if we wanted to agree to a gallery show. We did agree, though her collage work does nothing for me. I try not to cast my vote based on personal preferences, though.

The meeting ended around 6:30, when I had even more difficulty getting over that ice pile. Someone had parked in the space where I'd crossed to the sidewalk earlier, so I tried gaining access to the street from in front of the gallery.

Another committee member managed to hold onto a light pole and step over the ice. I'm much shorter than she is, though, so I couldn't stretch that far without slipping. So I prevailed upon her to lend me a supportive arm, since she was on firm footing. She did, and I stepped safely onto the street.

I was back home before 7 p.m., and Hubbie and I finished the evening watching TV.





 

2 comments:

Ann crum said...

I've heard it said that most stores and restaurants can only go 3 days without a delivery, then they'll be out of stuff. I know it's that way for where I work.

Sixty Something said...

I can believe it. Things could get pretty crucial if there was prolonged winter weather event. I guess that's why there's a mad rush to the grocery store at the hint of bad weather.