Friday, June 13, 2014

Friday, June 13

Friday the 13th, full "strawberry" moon, sun flares...bad omens, according to some folks. But nothing untoward happened today that I could tell. In fact, it was a nice, mild, sunny day. It was busy, but pleasant.

We were up at 6 a.m., so I could get ready for water aerobics. About 20 of us attended. The water was warm, and I enjoyed the session.

Back home, I had a couple of cups of coffee, then got ready for the day. Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house, before he went to the WDCS to pick up some groceries for the weekend.

Mother and I spent our morning, and part of the afternoon in the kitchen. I put a ham in the oven, then Mother diced onions and peppers for a recipe of baked beans. When the ham came out of the oven, I put the beans in. After Hubbie returned, he peeled potatoes, which I boiled for potato salad. I also boiled eggs to go in it. We won't make the salads until tomorrow, though. All this food preparation is for a family gathering in honor of Hubbie's birthday, and Father's Day.

This afternoon, Hubbie picked up two square tables and eight chairs from a business downtown. With the leaf in the dining room table, our card table and chairs, and those other two tables, we should have enough seating space for family.

Relaxed for a while this afternoon, until time to get ready to go to the art gallery's Summer Celebration. Hubbie accompanied Mother to her house before we left. She had a container of leftovers in the freezer that she microwaved for her supper.

We left for the event around 6:15, since it started at 6:30. It was well attended, but we didn't enjoy it as much this year as we have in the past. There weren't as many choices of items in the silent auction, and of those, I didn't win the bids on the things I tried for. I was interested in dinner/movie theater tickets, and tickets to a Chihully blown glass exhibit at the presidential library in our capital city.

As usual at these gatherings, folks dressed in all sorts of styles . By and large, it was casual, though some dressed up, and some came in jeans and tees. Most of us were somewhere in the middle. A couple of ladies...a mother and daughter....were in costume, though. The mother was clad in something resembling a frontiersman, while her daughter was in in a dance hall get-up.

I'm not sure why they chose to dress like that, but later, when Hubbie and I were ready to leave, we noticed they were sitting on the steps outside. I stopped and commented that they were dressed the most uniquely of all of us. the young woman said she took that as a compliment.

I responded that it was indeed a compliment..."You stood right out," I said. Later, I realized my comment could be taken more than one way, since the young woman's ample bosom was pretty prominent, having been lifted up and out by the bustier, off-the-shoulders, laced-in-the-back, dress she was wearing.

The event was held in a church fellowship hall, which was decorated adequately, but more sparsely than last year. Japanese lanterns were suspended from the ceiling near the buffet tables, and more were suspended from tree branches outdoors, where tables were set up for dining and listening to the music.

The tables indoors were laid with white table clothes, and centered with crisscrossed brightly colored cloth napkins. On the napkins were hand crafted lily-pad-like flowers, fashioned from colorful card stock folded to look like leaves and flowers. I inspected one of them, and they were held together in the middle by colored rubber bands. I think I can find directions for these online.

The food at the buffet was not as artfully displayed as it was last year, and there weren't as many choices. The entree item was barbecued pork tenderloin sliders, along with mini-quiches, vegetable pizza squares, dips and chips, raw veggies, and an array of desserts. Drinks included bottled water, coffee, white wine, wine punch, and the dreadful beer from our capital city. We tried the beer last year...it's very strong, so we don't like it. We tried the white wine this year. It was very dry, so one sip was all I wanted. I settled for water.

We stayed until around 8:30, then decided to come home. Others drifted out, too. The ones most interested in sticking around were folks who had won silent auction items, and young people who wanted to enjoy the live band and singer that were to entertain outside later. We've heard this group a number of times, so we weren't interested in fighting the mosquitoes to hear them again. We had eaten our meal out there earlier, and already the little pests were buzzing and landing.

As soon as we got back home, I went to Mother's house to put drops in her eyes. It was frigid in her house. I asked if she wanted it that cool. She said no, she had adjusted the thermostat, so the unit should go off soon.

I checked the thermostat to see what temperature she had it set on. It was set for 63 degrees. No wonder it was cold in there. I set it for 74 degrees, and the unit immediately shut off. Once again, I tried to explain to her that the arrow pointing up was the one she should push to increase the temperature, and the arrow pointing down was the one she should push to decrease the temperature. The temperature is prominently displayed on the front of the thermostat, and is at her eye level, so I can't understand why she continues to have problems setting the darn thing.

She indicated that she understood my instructions, of course, but I knew she didn't. So I told Hubbie that he is going to have to check the thermostat each morning before he accompanies her over here, and I will check it at night when I put drops in her eyes.

Back home, Hubbie and I watched TV for a while...a couple of one-hour shows recorded on DVR. We are disappointed with the new cable box. It does not allow us to access the premium channels, and in fact, a few of the basic channels aren't accessible, either. Hubbie called the cable guy today, but of course, he can't come until Monday.





























0 comments: