Monday, June 9, 2014

Monday, June 9

Up at 6 a.m. to get ready for water aerobics. I was surprised at how cool it was this morning. I wore shorts and a tee shirt over my swimsuit, but something warmer would have felt good for the walk to the gym.

About 20 of us attended today. The water in the pool was very pleasantly warm, and I enjoyed the workout. The talk this morning, of course, was about the small tornado that hit our community last Friday.

During aerobics last Friday, one of the members commented that she and her husband were planning to go fishing at a lake about an hour from our town. I told her that there were storm warnings for the day, but she said her husband was convinced nothing would happen before 2 p.m.

The woman said that after they were on the lake, and it became cloudier and cloudier, she kept encouraging her husband to turn around and go back to dock, but he didn't want to. He didn't want to give up until he caught at least one fish. At last, he did catch one, and finally agreed to go back to dock. They had no sooner secured the boat and gotten in their truck when the storm hit.

The husband drove home in it, and as they approached our town they saw the black cloud that produced the funnel. But it wasn't until they were at home that they learned about the tornado.

Later, her husband apologized for not listening to her, because they could easily have been caught on that lake during the wind and lightning. So as not to entirely admit to being wrong, though, he rationalized that dying while fishing wouldn't be the worst way to go. The lady said that just because he was willing to go while fishing, didn't mean she was.

Following aerobics, I started to leave the gym when I saw that it was raining. Fortunately, I had an umbrella in my swim bag, but it was a chilly walk back to the van, I was plenty glad for a hot cup of coffee when I got home.

Hubbie accompanied Mother to our house shortly after I got home, and she went to her jigsaw puzzle. While I got ready for the day, Hubbie ran errands...one of them being to pick up a small container of chicken salad for lunch, she I was blank on what to have.

I spent the rest of the morning cleaning and decorating the upstairs bathroom.There's been nothing in there all this time, because I wanted a new look...but I haven't found anything I want.

So I gave up and put the old stuff back in there. The curtain is a new look...it's a valance I used in the bedroom years ago that I'd forgotten I had. Found it on the top shelf of a linen closet. It's floral in colors of pink, green, and lavender, so it looks nice with the pearl onion green walls in the bathroom.

It was close to noon by the time I finished upstairs, so I heated leftover macaroni and cheese for Mother's lunch. By that time, Hubbie had returned, and we had chicken salad sandwiches and chips.

After lunch, I spent time on my tablet talking with family...a great-grandson was scheduled for a tonsillectomy at 2 p.m., and a great-granddaughter was at a hospital with a sore that was red and feverish. So I was anxious until I learned that both children had been treated and are doing well.

Later, Mother and I prepared supper...she made dressing for coleslaw, and sliced pork roast to be heated in the oven. I put a dish of sweet potatoes, and a dish of leftover sauteed potatoes in the oven, too.

Mother was ready to go home shortly after supper, so Hubbie accompanied her. Later, I went over there to put drops in her eyes.

Tonight's movies: the first one was, "Secret Window," (2004) starring Johnny Depp. We'd seen this one before, but didn't remember the whole plot. An author, recently separated from his wife, gets writer's block. A mysterious man in a black hat, appears at his house and accuses him of plagiarizing his book. Pretty good suspense movie.

The second movie (2005) was, "Coach Carter," starring Samuel L. Jackson. This sports drama is based on the true story of Richmond High School coach Ken Carter. This coach valued education, and dared to bench his whole team for poor academic performance.

















0 comments: