Saturday, October 13, 2007

Goodbye French Fries and Potato Chips

A little more than a year ago, I stepped on the scale for the first time in a long time. After I recovered from the shock, I vowed to do something about my weight. No more putting it off. I had to take charge...next week maybe.

That evening at dinner, I listened to a TV sports reporter announce a boxer's pre-fight weight. My fork went clattering to my plate as I wailed, "I weigh the same as the Middleweight Boxing Champion of the World!"

Okay, something had to be done THIS WEEK! And off I went to join the organization that encourages food portion control, keeping a food log, and attending weekly meetings that include weighing in.

No foods were taboo on this program, as long as I recorded the portion points in my weekly log. I soon learned, though, that I didn't want to waste my points on dense-in-calorie foods, like French fries and potato chips, that soon left me feeling hungry again. What I needed were foods that I could eat plenty of and still stay within my points allotment.

Veggie soups, salads, fruits, and grains filled the bill. I found that there are a great variety of satisfying foods that don't pack the pounds on, as well as lots of recipes for modifying meal favorites. A year later and 40 lbs. lighter, I had learned to eat healthier and stay within my weight goal.

Today, I feel wonderful...and I don't even miss French fries and potato chips!

0 comments: