Thursday, March 13, 2008

Photo Session




Each month, my Hubbie's Master Gardener group has a 30-minute educational program prior to their regular business meeting. Most of the time, the speaker is drawn from among the members, but this morning I was the guest presenter.


My program was on how to photograph flowers. I demonstrated with examples of my own photographs, a few of which appear above, and discussed a few points for improving flower photographs:
*Get close. A camera with macro capabilities is best for getting very close to blooms...mine can get within a few inches. Someone mentioned that there are point and shoot high-pixel cameras that can get within a foot of a subject. Sharply focused photos from that distance could probably be cropped in a computer program to create acceptable close-ups.
*Choose an optimum time for shooting flowers. I prefer an overcast day, or flowers in the shade. If I'm shooting on a sunny day, I prefer the sidelight effects at around 10 a.m. or 3 p.m.
*Flower photos are more interesting if they feature critters, like butterflies, bees, a preying mantis, etc. Mornings are the best time to photograph critters, because they are lethargic then and less apt to be flitting about. Animals and children also add interest to flower photos.
*Try different angles when shooting flowers...the view from beneath a bloom, or pointing the camera upward, getting the sky as background.
More information about photographing flowers can be obtained at www.gardenguides.com, where there is also information on gardening techniques.


0 comments: